PDA

View Full Version : Disposable Latex Gloves.....??

Randy Meijer
10-25-2006, 6:34 PM
I bought a package a year or two ago and rarely use them. It seems like I ruin about half of them just trying to get them on my hands. Am I doing something wrong....is there some special technique for putting them on?

These were purchased from HF. Do I just need to buy a better quality product??

Do these things deteriorate with age to the point that they should be replaced every few years??

TIA for any insight.

Gary Herrmann
10-25-2006, 6:43 PM
I've had pretty good luck with the ones I buy by the box at Costco. Forget the brand name - its the one on a lot of Costco stuff. Begins with a K, I think.

Mine last nowhere near that long, so yes, I'd imagine that after a year or two, they'd begin to deteriorate. Maybe put them in a ziploc next time?

I also assume they're inside, not out in the garage or something which would shorten their life even more.

Dave Richards
10-25-2006, 7:42 PM
Don't buy Latex gloves. Many people have pretty sever allergic reactions to Latex may develop allergies to it. Buy Nitrile or other non-Latex gloves. They'll last much longer than Latex gloves, too.

BTW, if you discover that you are allergic to Latex make sure it goes in your medical records.

Tim Burke
10-25-2006, 8:36 PM
Another vote for the nitrile gloves. Get them when they are on sale at Harbor Freight. 1 box will last a long time. I am able to reuse the gloves several times. You'll never go back to latex.

Tim

Randy Meijer
10-25-2006, 9:35 PM
Thanks. Perfect timing. Turns out HF has them on sale right now for half price.....100 for $4.99.

Roger Bell
10-25-2006, 10:01 PM
I like both latex and nitrile from HF. I am not allergic to latex. I use latex for quick and dirty one time uses. They have their drawbacks.....mineral spirits or naptha and many other chems. will quickly degrade them. But they are dirt cheep. You are better off buying a larger size of latex than you think you need.

Nitrile is much better but more expensive...and reusable...to a point.

Art Mulder
10-25-2006, 10:46 PM
Many people have pretty sever allergic reactions to Latex may develop allergies to it.

In my 42 years I've met exactly one such person. Many?
But I also didn't know it was something that could develop.

Dave Richards
10-26-2006, 6:53 AM
Art, any day of the week I can walk through the halls of surgery in my hospital and see more than one "Latex Allergy" sign on operating room doors so I know it is fairly common. I don't think there's a Latex glove in the hospital anymore because of allergies. The breathing bags for the anesthesia machines used to be Latex but they'd about kill someone with an allergy to them. We used to use Latex tubing for various things but can't for patient gases and it would rot very rapidly so when we did have it we were always replacing it. There are still a few items around made of Latex but very few.

It's good that you've not met anyone with the allergy.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
10-26-2006, 7:38 AM
I use the Nitrile and like them, the DIY place I shop at sells several kinds, thin, thick, and extra long ones too, like over the elbow.

A buddy here is a tatoo artist, and he runs into it enough that he ONLY uses Nitrile.

Cheers!

Rennie Heuer
10-26-2006, 8:14 AM
Hi Randy,

HD changed brands they carry about 5 years ago and put them on sale at a rediculous price, so I bought everything they had - about 500 pairs. 5 years later they have not shown any sign of deterioration.

One suggestion - if you're having trouble getting them on use a little talc or body powder on your hands before slipping into the gloves. This also helps make the inevitable hand sweating more tolerable.

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-26-2006, 9:18 AM
I love latex gloves. They are easy to put on. Maybe yours aren't power treated???
You'd know as th talc is apparant if they are.

Dave Richards
10-26-2006, 9:27 AM
Here's a link to what the good doctors Will and Charlie have to say about latex allergies. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/latex-allergy/DS00621

Bob Childress
10-26-2006, 10:22 AM
[quote=Gary Herrmann]I've had pretty good luck with the ones I buy by the box at Costco. Forget the brand name - its the one on a lot of Costco stuff. Begins with a K, I think./quote]

Yeah, Kirkland Signature, and they are great. I bought the Stanley ones and they are hard to get on and prone to tearing. But the Kirkland gloves slide right on. (Obviously not allergic to latex.)

Bill Webber
10-26-2006, 10:51 AM
No one mentioned they come in sizes. We have small for LOML and large for me...;)

Frank Fusco
10-26-2006, 11:00 AM
Don't buy Latex gloves. Many people have pretty sever allergic reactions to Latex may develop allergies to it. Buy Nitrile or other non-Latex gloves. They'll last much longer than Latex gloves, too.

BTW, if you discover that you are allergic to Latex make sure it goes in your medical records.

My wife is allergic to bananas. Banana is related to the latex producing trees. I had to take her to the emergency room one time and during the interview she told the nurse taking medical history that she was allergic to bananas. The nurse laughed and said that wasn't important. The old Italian came out and I set that nurse straight and demanded a doctor know about the banana allergy. Same sensitivity as with latex. Can be a killer.
My vote is for nitrile.

Lee Schierer
10-26-2006, 12:37 PM
I don't know where they get them but the HF latex gloves are not as good as other brands. They are cheap and basically you get what you pay for. Also latex will degrade with exposure to sun light. Some will tear just rying to popen them up to start your hand in. When my box is gone, I doubt I wil buy any more for HF.

Robert E Lee
10-26-2006, 11:39 PM
I vote for HF nitrile, just have to get the right size.
Bob

Matt Meiser
10-27-2006, 7:53 AM
I've also had good luck with the HF nitrile gloves. Before that I used the latex ones and they were OK, but detriorated FAST when exposed to woodworking finishes. The nitrile hold up well against the things I've used them with.

Jude Tuliszewski
10-27-2006, 8:42 PM
Nitrile is the way to go. As for where to get them, E-bay;) . All different sizes, different brands (if that matters?) and if you are not in a rush you can get a great deal. I got 500 for less than $17(that is including shipping), that's about 3.5 cents each:D . I can only reuse them if I only do something fast as here in Fl. most of the year it is warm enough to sweat in them soon after putting them on. Also, if they fit snug (as they are suppose to) it is tricky to get them off other than the pull them off outside in method (ya know, like doctors do). Not only good for WW stuff but for tinkerin on tha ol jaloppy as well. No more greesie fingernails for this knuckle dragger:p .

Ken Garlock
10-28-2006, 12:47 AM
I have been buying 4mil nitrile gloves from Gemplers in a 4 1/2 gallon pail. There are 500 gloves (250 pair) in the pail for $60, that is 25 cents a pair. If anyone should order them, go for a size larger than you normally wear. IMO, they run a little small. Besides, you can reuse the pail around the shop, it is good heavy plastic.

Randy Meijer
10-28-2006, 2:07 AM
Great information, everyone. Thanks. I just ordered some nitrile gloves from HF. looking forward to trying the new gloves.

BTW, I know what latex is. What is nitrile??:confused: