PDA

View Full Version : Help Question

aurelio alarcon
10-22-2003, 11:12 PM
First, let me say hello to all of you. I recently joined this forum. Additionally, I recently started woodworking. Here is my question, If I have a 2x8 and want to split it down the middle length wise, what tool should I use? My table saw only cuts up to 3 & 1/8 inches. Do I split it on the bottem half and just turn it over? What do you recomend? Thanks. Aurelio

UPDATE:
Thank you all for all your wisdom and advice! I think that I might try to save some money and get a band saw. Untill then I will probably just buy some wood when it is available (at a reasonable price). If it is not available, I will use the method on my table saw that some of you recomended. Again, Thanks a lot! It is nice to be part of this website! Any Advice on a band saw? Size, etc...

Martin Shupe
10-23-2003, 12:53 AM
Welcome to the Creek!

Ideally, a bandsaw would be best for this type of operation.

However, if you don't have one, I would think a table saw would substitute. I am not sure about the safety, though. Perhaps someone else can comment on this.

If you are planning to use your table saw, be very careful at the end of the cut when you have that much blade sticking up in the air.

Let us know how it turns out.

John Seutter
10-23-2003, 6:30 AM
You can use the table saw for part of the cuts. You will need to do it in several passes. Raise the balde about 1 inch and cut both edges. Raise another inch and do again. Finally raise to the rest of the way and cut. Since this will only be a little over 6 inches, you will have to finish with a hand saw. Be very careful since the wood sometimes want to close up the kerf and could be thrown back at you.

Brad Schafer
10-23-2003, 7:34 AM
Not to go against the conventional widsom, but there's no way I'd try to do this with a table saw. If you wobble even slightly, you're going to bind and risk kickback. (Personal experience.) :rolleyes:

if the 2x8 is SPF or SYP (i.e., standard framing material), I'd just got go buy a couple pieces of 1x8 and be done with it. Otherwise, I'd find a friend (or make friends with someone) with a bandsaw.

My 2 centavos. Good luck,

b

Lee Schierer
10-23-2003, 8:36 AM
I've successfully ripped boards on my table saw similar to this. You have to make the cuts 1" at a time and make sure the board is held against the fence with feather boards that do not pinch the kerf closed. I even tried a 2 X8 once. But the last inch you have to cut by hand is a great deal of work. Better to go buy a couple of 1 X 8 boards of the same species. Or find some one nearby that has a bandsaw, which will do this job in one pass.

STEVE PHILLIPS
11-09-2003, 3:11 AM
First, let me say hello to all of you. I recently joined this forum. Additionally, I recently started woodworking. Here is my question, If I have a 2x8 and want to split it down the middle length wise, what tool should I use? My table saw only cuts up to 3 & 1/8 inches. Do I split it on the bottem half and just turn it over? What do you recomend? Thanks. Aurelio

UPDATE:
Thank you all for all your wisdom and advice! I think that I might try to save some money and get a band saw. Untill then I will probably just buy some wood when it is available (at a reasonable price). If it is not available, I will use the method on my table saw that some of you recomended. Again, Thanks a lot! It is nice to be part of this website! Any Advice on a band saw? Size, etc...

Hi Aurelio. Try what I do. I believe your trying to split hardwood as oak, walnut, etc. Put a good quality blade (sharp) on your tablesaw. It should have 40 teeth or less. It must be a thin kerf with carbide teeth. Make several passes at one inch at a time until you reach your max of the blade. Flip your board and repeat. Take a sawzall with a long and sharp blade and use it to finish the middle cut. If your tablesaw slows will cutting, you either have a dull blade or your feeding too fast. If it ( your wood ) smokes your feeding too slow or you have a dull blade. The blade on your saw should be recmmended for ripping not crosscut. There is a big differece.