PDA

View Full Version : Freud Adjustable T&G Set - keeper?

Alex Berkovsky
10-25-2006, 4:21 PM
Like some of you, I also jumped on the Amazon router set deal (got the DW618B3 kit) which included the Freud 99-036 adj T&G set. My question is how useful is this set in the shop? I am trying to decide if I should keep it or try to sell it on ebay.

Charles McCracken
10-26-2006, 9:57 AM
Alex,

Among the known uses for the 99-036 bit set are:
Shaker style cabinet doors and carcasses (especially good for sizing grooves to match plywood panels)
Breadboards
sliding t&g (since you can adjust the fit of the t&g from snug to loose)

Mike Goetzke
10-26-2006, 2:48 PM
Don't want to hijack but I got this set too and was wondering why mine are painted black versus the Freud red? Are they the same????

Mike

Joe Meazle
10-26-2006, 3:31 PM
If you want to get rid of it let me know.
Joe

Charles McCracken
10-26-2006, 5:19 PM
Mike,

Black is the color of all of the 99-036 bits. We depict all of our bits as red in pictures but in reality the ones that stack are left uncoated (or have hubs ground) to ensure the accuracy of the stack.

Randal Stevenson
10-27-2006, 10:50 AM
A few years back I bought a t&g setup, that had one shaft. You changed the cutterhead and added a bearing for the groove. I decided to keep this, as the two shafts just make it easier (and the price was right). If you do decide to get rid of it, might post later, or other places, as ebay has been filling up on these.

Mack Cameron
10-28-2006, 7:54 AM
To Charles McCracken; I have just purchased this set on eBay. Do instructions regarding their use come with the bit set? If not, can you direct me to instructions regarding their use.

Charles McCracken
10-28-2006, 8:30 AM
Mack,

Instructions for adjusting the bits are included, but since there are so many potential uses, detailed application instructions are not.