PDA

View Full Version : Precision and repeatability, versa vl-300 or M360

Eugene han
10-25-2006, 2:27 PM
I would like to buy a versa vl-300 or M-360 soon (50 W).
Which one is more reliable and with higher precision?
Does it influence laser system if it is being sent during winter time since it might be too cold?
Do I need to buy directly from the maker instead of through local representative?
I prefer versa's compactness and easier to be transported. M360 is faster and need more space.

Eugene

Mike Mackenzie
10-25-2006, 3:21 PM
Eugene,

They are both equally reliable systems, with the precision the m360 is a little better than the VL-300 just because of the driver. The 360 has a deeper Z axis field that the VL-300. Speed for raster engraving is about the same between both.

I would personally work with the rep that is close to you and be sure to ask if he can and will do after sale support. If you choose the Versa you can purchase it from anyone in the country. Be aware that training and support is very important and most "Versa Dealers" do not offer that. The other thing to consider is the driver that you would get with the Versa the "Versa Dealers" are not allowed to supply the advanced driver only the authorized ULS reps are allowed to supply this driver. (due to the training).

The authorized reps for the platform systems should (in my opinion) offer this and it is a huge benefit when you are starting out.

The weather can be an issue however I look at it this way if it is to cold for you to be in the room with the laser it is probably to cold for the laser system. Very rarely has it been very cold in the room with a laser in it that is won't function and all that was necessary was for the laser needed 10 minutes to warm up. The lasers actually make pretty good space heaters once they are running.

Lee DeRaud
10-25-2006, 3:56 PM
They are both equally reliable systems, with the precision the m360 is a little better than the VL-300 just because of the driver.Mike, I flat-out don't understand that sentence. The precision/repeatability should be an inherent quality of the motion system, give or take some minor error contributions from the optics. Unless the coordinate data is being passed from the computer to the laser at a lower precision than the resolution of the motion system (which I doubt), the driver shouldn't be a factor. Am I missing something?

Eugene han
10-25-2006, 4:00 PM
Mike, thank you for your info. In the case of vector cutting, which is faster? Roughly how large the gap? For cold whether I mean during transportation from ULS to Canada on the road, the cold whether might influence the laser system especially the RF circuits. I do not know whether or not it is good to ask you about the motion system (motor and driver). From my reading it seems both vl300 and M360 have auto Z though M360 is much deeper and can be dual beam, my focus is on accuracy. Thank you for your input.

Eugene

Joe Pelonio
10-25-2006, 4:24 PM
Mike, thank you for your info. In the case of vector cutting, which is faster? Roughly how large the gap? For cold whether I mean during transportation from ULS to Canada on the road, the cold whether might influence the laser system especially the RF circuits. I do not know whether or not it is good to ask you about the motion system (motor and driver). From my reading it seems both vl300 and M360 have auto Z though M360 is much deeper and can be dual beam, my focus is on accuracy. Thank you for your input.

Eugene
On the transportation I really wouldn't worry about it. They should be boxing it with plenty of cardboard and styrofoam around it to keep it from getting broken that will also insulate. You might want to wait several hours before starting it up the first time though if it's that cold during shipping. I'd only be concerned about metal and electronics going from freezing to operating temperature too quickly.

Mike Shauer
10-25-2006, 5:13 PM
Eugene, Welcome the the creek.. Your profile dos not tell us where you are. If you are on the west coast you could come and play with my VL 300. I have only had it for a year so I consider that I am still playing. The Universal lasers are good machines the only problems I have had are self inflicted. The Versa Lasers is an excellent first machine as the first printer driver that they give you is very simple to operate, when you finally get it, they can step you up to the advanced driver. I have both drivers and still use both on a regular basis. Cheers, Mike

Eugene han
10-25-2006, 5:40 PM
Thank you, mike, for your invitation. I live in Canada, near Toronto. As for VL-300, I am thinking of the motion system (motor and driver) might be different from that of the M360. Thank you for your kindness.

Eugene

Mike Mackenzie
10-25-2006, 7:19 PM
Eugene,

Unless the system is lost and buried under 50 feet of snow there won't be any problem with the transporting of it. Most of these systems are flown in airline cargo holds and it gets pretty cold up there (at least I heard it does):cool: .

Lee & Eugene,

What I was saying regarding the precision of the systems being a little different due to the drivers was The "materials based Driver" does not have as much control over speed and power as does the Advanced driver. The advanced driver also has a scaling feature that helps compensate for material reaction. Making it a little more precise due to the user controls.

Most Versa lasers only come with the materials based driver. For start up companies the material based drivers are the easiest to use and learn.

This was the point I was making about slight differences, the motion systems are basically the same the only difference is in the way X axis is mounted, X motors are the same and vector and raster speeds are the same.

I hope that cleared up what I meant to say.