PDA

View Full Version : Re-doing a semigloss finish

John Huber
10-25-2006, 10:27 AM
The finish on this side chest or nightstand is many coats of General Finishes gloss with the last coat being semigloss. It seems to me that the semigloss has dimished the figure, especially on the curly walnut. How can I fix this? Can I just add a topcoat of gloss, or will the flatteners in the semigloss still be dimming it?

Since the pulls are permanently attached, I'm reluctant to sand. But if I must, how much sanding is needed?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=35578

Dave Right
10-26-2006, 4:42 PM
In my experience, the semi gloss has to come off. It wont take much since the last coat is probably thinner than you might think. I would use 220 grit then 320 then finish with 400 before applying the next coat of gloss.

Howard Acheson
10-27-2006, 7:22 PM
Nov. 06 issue of WOOD (page 27) says that finishing guru Bob Flexner (author of "Undertanding Wood Finishing") ran tests and found that there is no noticeable difference in wood grain clarity between samples under coated with satin or clear coats. It's only the flatting agents at the surface that diffuse the light and those underneath are invisible.

Applying a coat of gloss over a non-gloss surface will regain almost all the gloss.

John Huber
10-28-2006, 9:56 AM
As usual, your advice is clear, complete, and well-grounded.