PDA

View Full Version : Thimbles?

Richard Jones
10-25-2006, 6:13 AM
Anyone have any info on turning sewing thimbles? I've seen the nice mill in The Woodturners Catalog, was wondering about other ways to accomplish the same thing, altho' that thing looks pretty slick.

No, not looking to corner the world market on wooden thimbles, just curious, and, well, not many people do them, so thought I would try. Another good thing to make with those too-small-to-do-anything-else-with scraps.

Glue a blank on a faceplate, do the outside, then inside, then part off at the top? Guess I'll need some sort of gauge/guide/template for the inside part.

Guess I just don't have enough to do.............:D

Anyway, thanks in advance for any assistance/enlightenment.

Richard Jones
Rice, VA

Jim Becker
10-25-2006, 10:18 AM
'Could be a fun project, Richard. I'd suggest using a glue block to mount your material and do a "non-reversal" turn so you can hollow with a lot of material left for support and then finalize the exterior and part off in one operation. Since these are small, it should be relatively easy to work that way--your visibility between inside and outside will be good for judging wall thickness as you turn them kinda the opposite of a larger piece. (hollowing before finalizing exterior)

Richard Jones
10-25-2006, 5:28 PM
Thanks Jim.

I had originally thought to do the inside first, as you suggested, but then thought, no, you don't do a bowl that way and this is just a small bowl. I agree with having some thickness for hollowing.

I'll try it both ways and let you know!

Thanks.

Rich

Jim Becker
10-25-2006, 5:47 PM
It's really important to have "support" when turning small and/or thin components. The nice thing about a thimble is that you still have some good thickness at the top (which is closest to the glue-block in this case) so general shaping still gives you enough wood to "take it" when you hollow the piece. I'd stick with an end-grain turning for this, personally, and use a small scraper and/or spindle/detail gouge for that work. Then, take the same spindle/detail gouge to refine the outside, culminating with parting off (at slow speed) with the point of the tool. I have a 1/4" spindle gouge with a special grind that David Ellsworth showed me...essentially, it's rounded off on the bottom so that you can easily roll in under a base (top in this case) to cleanly finish and part at the same time.

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-25-2006, 10:46 PM
Funny you brought this up, Richard. I have a "Little" commission to do. The woman has a collection and wants a wooden thimble, but, she wants it stored in an "Acorn!" I will be interested in how yours turns out.

Bruce

John Taylor
10-26-2006, 6:43 PM
HI

I turned some a couple of years ago to sell at craft fairs, they sold well.

I mounted the piece of wood, which was just a bit longer and wider than the finished item, in the chuck and hollowed it out using a small spindle gouge. To get the size right I made it a loose fit for my small finger.

Once I was happy with the inside I shaped the sides and the start of the curve for what will be the top, it is easier to get the thickness correct this way round. I then sanded the inside & outside and polished the inside.

I then parted it off and put it on a jam chuck to finish the top, because the insides were all slightlly different sizes I used plasticine to make it a secure fit. If it was still a bit loose on the jam chuck I would drill a small dimple in the centre of the thimble and use a live tail centre to hold it in place.

After finishing shaping the top of the thimble I would remove the jam chuck from the lathe and move to the pillar drill. Here I would drill a number of small indentations in the top of the thimble.

I then put it back on the lathe and sanded and finished the outside.

It is a lot quicker and easier to do than it sounds, I could probably do the whole thing in the time it has taken me to type this out.

Hope this helps and good turning.:)

John

Keith Burns
10-27-2006, 11:07 AM
You might check out Craft Supplies. They have a bit specifically designed for doing the inside of thimbles. Instructions too, I think.

Richard Jones
10-27-2006, 5:52 PM
Keith,

Yes, seen that, just not sure if the price is justified just yet.

Et al, many thanks, am going to try one tonight, I think, if I can get a certain platter off the chuck, but that's another story!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rich