PDA

View Full Version : Way OT, but, WOW! Legal Info Needed For a Friend

Joe Pack
10-22-2003, 8:44 PM
My apologies for being WAY off topic here, but I know the breadth of backgrounds here, and hope someone can steer me in the right direction. Plus, I just GOTTA talk at someone who might empathize.

I just got off the phone with a former student of mine, a quiet, kind, shy, unassuming 17 year old senior whose hobby for the past few years has been bicycle racing. I knew he had ridden in a few races in Ohio, and a few even around the US, but I assumed that he was just a serious hobbyist. I found out he was a bit more than that when he called a couple of months ago to tell me about his summer in Europe as part of a US team. Knowing that lots of kids are part of a "US" team that is really just part of a glorified vacation tour, I thought just that when he started talking. Then, I found out that the trip cost him nothing except his meals - not the glorified tour I expected. And, then, I found out that he had won far more than half the races he had entered, and those against international competition....Okay, you get the picture of a high school kid who does pretty well against other high school kids. My picture, too.

Some background...This young man rarely mentions his father. Other than spending a little more time with him than most kids, we were not particularly close when he was in my jr. high and high school classes -- just talked a lot about mostly trivial things. Evidently it meant a great deal to him, though, because one day he came up to my room after school to talk, and, in the course of talking to me about "guy" stuff, including stuff about his father, actually asked if it would be okay if he called me "Dad." Wow. How to handle that? Now, four years later, he is asking me what I think he should do at a major turning point in his young life, and I want to help. For a little while, I will be his "dad," but I need help and advice myself.

Tonight, just a few minutes ago, he called again. This time it was to ask for my advice about an offer made to him to race again. Friends, I was totally blown away when he told me he has been offered a contract (50+ pages, 3 copies in hand) to race for a California based team then, after the racing season, train with the US Postal Team! HIS CONTRACTUAL OFFER IS FOR AN EXTREMELY HIGH SALARY, WITH BONUS INCENTIVES..

My first comment was, "Mike, you need an attorney, and right now!!!!" He said that he had already contacted an attorney, "some guy in ..." in a nearby town. No disrespect intended, but I told him that he needed someone with expertise in this kind of deal - someone who was familiar with athletic contract law, not someone who handled traffic tickets and divorces. He was not sure of his attorney's background, but, given the lack of research, I am skeptical.

I then asked him what his mother had said, and he said that she said, "If you want to do it, go for it. I'll sign the papers." "I haven't told her how much money the contract is for, because I think she'll freak out..." Other than that, the young man doesn't have much guidance, and is, naturally, a little afraid.

The "dad" thing I can handle, I think. What I have zero experience with is the legal thing - information on an attorney who would be experienced in handling this contractual thing. How/where does one go to find an attorney (in the Cleveland, OH area - we are about 50 miles west of Cleveland) who would be experienced enough in this field to give advice on what is, essentially, an athletic contract. I don't want to be involved in this end, but I want to steer him toward someone who will look out for his interests without taking advantage of him.

If any of our attorney woodworking friends out there care to weigh in on this one, I promise to not tell lawyer jokes for at least 3 days. If any of our non-attorney friends want to weigh in, I'll send you my updated list of lawyer jokes.

Thanks for reading, folks. Wish him (and me) luck.

Carl Eyman
10-22-2003, 9:14 PM
Has he contacted USCF. I think I have the letters right, It is the organization that licenses racers, categorizes them as to skill, etc. I would think a search on the internet would reveal contacts. I can't imagine they don't have a list of attorneys skilled in this Carl

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-22-2003, 9:14 PM
Joe, you are to be commended on your influence on this young man's life, it must make you feel really good to know that you have played a major role in the development of this person. You should be very proud that he looks to you as a father............that, in my opinion, is the highest compliment you could ever be paid. I think this young man has the potential to be the next United States superstar cyclist, and it is wonderful that you are willing to take the time to help him realize his dream. You are correct, this young man needs a good attorney, probably an attorney and/or a Sports Contract Agent. This sounds like a chance of a lifetime to fufull a dream..........it would be a shame to have some greedy, unethical legal representative ruin that dream for him. Although I cannot offer any advice as to the legal end of this potential deal, I wish you and your "Son" all the best. I just had to respond to your post.............this story really touched me.............it is good to know that people like you are still helping others make the right decision. I sure wish I was a former student of yours............you are my kind of teacher! Good luck to the both of you, please keep us informed of the progress of this young man. I will look for him representing the Red, White and Blue at the Tour De France someday! :)

Joe Pack
10-22-2003, 11:29 PM
Joe, you are to be commended on your influence on this young man's life, it must make you feel really good to know that you have played a major role in the development of this person. You should be very proud that he looks to you as a father............that, in my opinion, is the highest compliment you could ever be paid. I think this young man has the potential to be the next United States superstar cyclist, and it is wonderful that you are willing to take the time to help him realize his dream. You are correct, this young man needs a good attorney, probably an attorney and/or a Sports Contract Agent. This sounds like a chance of a lifetime to fufull a dream..........it would be a shame to have some greedy, unethical legal representative ruin that dream for him. Although I cannot offer any advice as to the legal end of this potential deal, I wish you and your "Son" all the best. I just had to respond to your post.............this story really touched me.............it is good to know that people like you are still helping others make the right decision. I sure wish I was a former student of yours............you are my kind of teacher! Good luck to the both of you, please keep us informed of the progress of this young man. I will look for him representing the Red, White and Blue at the Tour De France someday! :)

Thanks for the kind words, Kevin, but I really didn't do much except listen to him. I, too, am touched that he thought enough of me to include me in his circle of confidants. Goes to show that you just never know how a seemingly small act, right or wrong, can influence another person. If that little sucker DOES ride in the Tour de France, he darn well better be inviting me to the finish line!

Terre Hooks
10-22-2003, 11:33 PM
Sounds like he is gonna need a lawyer to keep the first lawyer and "Sports Contract Agent" away from the money, and to help him keep his life in order. Along with that money probably comes many apperances and other times when he will be doing something he might not want to do.

I think those people are the reason why a 'professional' athlete needs $$$$ to 'live confortably' today.

I say he needs a decent lawyer, that is about it. That and his Mother's blessing.

Perry Schmidt
10-23-2003, 12:05 AM
Wow! I have to 2nd what Kevin said! You said 'all you did was listen', but it's amazing how many people and parents just don't do that simple little thing. It's an extremely rare talent now adays, and many times that's all a person wants.

Joe, you are a good man!

Now a partial answer to your question about lawyer. I know law firms usually have a list of contacts for the right lawyer they trust/recommend, having done something similar before. If you have or know of a firm that you trust, ask them - they probably have those connections and can get you to the right person/firm. If you don't get an answer from someone soon, sometime this weekend I'll pose this question to a very good friend of mine who is a lawyer in New York. I'm sure he'll have some good suggestions. But it will take a few days/week to get an answer back I guess. (I ask him, he goes to work, does some research, asks his partners, gets back, etc...)

Good luck! And congrats to you and your 'son'.

Perry

Carl Eyman
10-23-2003, 8:44 AM
I don't know where to look for one, but finding an agent first might be a good idea.

Ken Salisbury
10-23-2003, 8:53 AM
Joe,

If I were you I would take the advise from the responses tothis same post on WC and edit your post here to remove the specific $ amounts in the contract. I am not sure your friend would want that information public.

Just my 2¢ worth

Dennis Peacock
10-23-2003, 11:34 AM
Joe,

What a lot of kids need now days is just someone to "be there" and someone to "listen" to them with a sincere heart. You have reflected this type of person and you're a good man Joe.!!!! Caring about a kid can make all the difference in the "world".

John Schreiber
10-23-2003, 11:38 AM
I know a lot more about bicycle racing than I do about woodworking, but I don't know anything significant about pro level stuff like your friend is involved in.

At that level, the involvement of an agent is smart. Lance Armstrong is represented by Capital Sports & Entertainment http://www.planetcse.com/index3.html . I don't know that they would represent him, but if they are associated with Lance, you can bet they'd be a good place to start. I'd also have your friend talk to US pros that he's raced against or knows otherwise to see who they recommend.

A quick note. And, I'm not real up to date on this, so take it with a shaker of salt. I don't think Subaru (was Subaru-Montgomery) has a team now. Saturn has a team, so that could be what your thinking of.

A slot on a pro team is a dream. He's got to go for it, but he's got to go with good advice. Best of luck to him and thanks to you for helping him when he needs it.

Larry Harman
10-23-2003, 3:47 PM
The young man need an attorney and the suggestion that he needs one with special skills is valid. Normally, the local Bar Association maintains a local Lawyer Referral Service, that can ask a few questions, such as, " contract case, divorce case, traffic case, etc" and then suggest a few lawyers that will be willing to meet with the prospective client for a nominal fee for a short office conference. ( Here, it's $25.00 for a 30 minute conference-- this will not include future work, writing of agreements, etc--it is an "information gathering " event. The lawyer doesn't keep the $25.00- it is sent back to the Lawyer referral service to fund the organization) The lawyer will refer to another lawyer if expertise in a special area is needed--

So, essentially, the lawyer gives a 30 minute office conference for free and then the client may choose to retain that lawyer, or be referred to someone who practices in the needed area. The decision is up to the client. Try the County Bar Association, or call the Courthouse and ask what group serves this function. Most major cities have a similar set up. Good luck to the young man, and "attaboys" to you.

I have found most people like their own lawyer--it's the other guy's lawyer they dislike...but that topic is for another forum and another day. Larry

Mac McAtee
10-23-2003, 4:42 PM
You have a very big baseball team in Cleveland. There has to be sports attourneys somewhere around the area. Call one and get a referrel to on near where the kid is.

Joe Pack
10-23-2003, 10:50 PM
Thanks, folks. I have received many good suggestions here and in e-mails. I think I have been passed on to an outstanding source of information - an attorney who just happens to have been an Olympic cyclist - who, I have been told by his acquaintance who contacted him, will look at my young friend's contract gratis.

Thanks again. Boy, what a community we share in the woodworking world.