PDA

View Full Version : Magnolia Anyone??

Ken Wright
02-25-2003, 1:06 PM
Had to hire a tree removal company to take down two huge pine trees that are threatening to fall on the house. Asked him if he had a dump that he used for trees that he removed.

These are Magnolias that he said I could have today ... big ones .. that have been down for about a year. They are mine for the taking if I can figure out how to move them. I've heard they are good for turning .... anyone know if they're any good for flat stock???

Bradley Harp
02-25-2003, 1:24 PM
I could be wrong because I have never presonally had any Magnolia, but I have been told that it is very similar to Poplar. I think it is in the same family as Cottonwood. At the mills a lot of this type of wood gets mixed, I once bought bought a large load of Poplar onlt to find that what I had was cottonwood, They look alike till a router hits the wood. But Magnlolia is supposed to be good, if nothing else then at least for paint grade.
Brad

Mark Kauder
02-25-2003, 1:45 PM
Ken,
I have heard that Magnolia is go for turning, and have been keeping eye and ear open for some to give it a try, but have not done so yet.

BTW, how is your wife, and do you think you will make it to ATL this weekend?

Best Regards,
Mark

Barbara Gill
02-25-2003, 6:28 PM
Yellow-Poplar and Magnolia are in the same family (Magnolia Family). Yellow-Poplar is not a poplar. Cottonwood is in the Willow family Poplars are also in the Willow family.
So are you confused yet? :D

Magnolia is very nice to turn. It does seem to stain easily though.

Paul Di Biasio
02-25-2003, 11:34 PM
I turned only one bowl. I couldn't take another. It smells while turning and the dust bothers me.

The bowl is about 6" diameter. I finished it with walnut oil and it turned an olive color but a year later its more like a chestnut brown. The grain is nothing to talk about.

Mark Kauder
02-26-2003, 8:12 AM
I HAVE turned Yellow-Poplar, and found the color in the piece that I turned to be spectacular. Another one that I have kept my eye out for since.

Mark

Barbara Gill
02-26-2003, 9:28 AM
I have turned a number of Magnolia bowls and sawn quite a bit of Magnolia and it doesn't look at all like yours. That which I have turned is much whiter with darker (grey to almost black) spots and streaks. When finished with a penetrating oil the white wood (not as white as holly) ambers slightly but does not brown. I have never used walnut oil; is it dark in color?

Paul Di Biasio
02-26-2003, 12:16 PM
I don't think walnut oil changes the color. It was an experiment on a finished bowl that I was not enthusiastic about.

When you turned magnolia, was there a smell? I am sure mine was magnolia because I cut the tree down for a friend and took a chunk home. It was awful but I have been spoiled by the smell of turning wet cherry.

I do use walnut oil on carved spoons and forks but prefer it on lettuce.

Jim Amundson
02-26-2003, 12:58 PM
I too cut a magnolia for a neighbor. It was about 12" in diameter, a real monster for Wisconsin, where magnolia is usually a bush, 4" diameter max. It was a beautiful piece of wood - no bad smell and no bad dust. I turned some and cut some on the diagonal for a project. Lots of grain contrast - shades of black and gray. I truned ornaments from limb pieces - same grain. In my limited experience with magnolia it's a fine wood.

Barbara Gill
02-26-2003, 4:23 PM
Here (I hope) is a picture of a bowl I turned out of Magnolia about a year ago. As you can see, it is no longer round. Wow, that was easy!

Jim Amundson
02-26-2003, 6:07 PM
Great bowl. Couldn't help notice your e-mail address - velvitoil. That's made here in Wisconsin, of course, and it's all I use for finish on my turnings. About 5 coats hand rubbed. Beautiful stuff.