PDA

View Full Version : Help-paint Prefinished Comm. Furniture

Ernie Kuhn
10-24-2006, 11:31 PM
Help,
Have a commercial, inexpensive dresser with simulated oak grain. Looks like some kind of laminate? Maybe plastic? How do I prepare surface so that I can paint it?
Or, what type of paint should I use?
Thanks in advance
Ernie

Gary Breckenridge
10-25-2006, 12:05 AM
;) I'd sand it with a 220 grit to rough up the finish a bit and then prime it with a sealer/primer like Bin. After that I'd paint it with an oil based paint.;)I like Rustoleum.:rolleyes:

Ernie Kuhn
10-25-2006, 12:30 AM
Gary,
Thank you. That's exactly the kind of reply I was hoping for. Simple and uncomplicated. Again, thank you so much.
Ernie

Jamie Buxton
10-25-2006, 2:15 AM
I'd test the proposed process on some hidden part of the furniture before committing to the whole thing. If it is a plastic surface, you may need to use a plastic primer to get anything else to stick to it.

Jason Roehl
10-25-2006, 7:22 AM
Go to a paint store (Sherwin, Glidden/ICI, etc.) and ask for a Bonding Primer. BIN might work, but that's not what it's designed for. BTW, Sherwin's would be PrepRite Bonding Primer (acrylic) and ICI/Dulux/Glidden's would be Gripper (waterborne also).

Ernie Kuhn
10-25-2006, 12:46 PM
Jamie, Jason,
Thank you so much for the advice. Jason, I'll be headed to the paint store this weekend. Again, really appreciate the help and the detail information.
Ernie

Jamie Buxton
10-25-2006, 10:56 PM
Rustoleum makes a plastic primer in a spray can which sticks well to some plastics.

Ernie Kuhn
10-26-2006, 12:03 AM
Jaime,
Thank you. I'll be off to the big box this weekend to find it. Again, thanks to all for your help.
Ernie