PDA

View Full Version : Okay Pruitt!

Andy Hoyt
10-24-2006, 8:45 PM
You got some splainerizing to do here, bub. Sneaking this stuff into threads is one thing, but where be the pics, the creeker visit report, and the mandatory gloat. The most serious violation of the TOS I've ever encountered. Oh! And by the way - aint there something you promised to email me a while back.

...a problem that surfaced tonight: Lathe is a 3/4 hp, Reeves drive unit. I was happily turning a bowl and needed to stop to resharpen the gouge. Returned to the lathe, turn on, no movement. Only a humming sound; the motor itself was not spinning (clearly visible through the vent holes). With the machine still on, I manually rotated the bowl, resulting in it turning by itself a few times, slowly, then stopping. Tried again, same result. Pulled the metal cover; belt from motor to pulley is intact; does not appear to resist my effort to manually rotate it.:confused: :confused: :confused:

I removed the bowl and faceplate from the lathe and tried running it with no load. Same problems.

I have no idea what's going on. I need some advice before I dig deeper. Gee whiz...I barely know how to use a lathe, much less repair one.:eek:

Suggestions anyone?

Mark

Thanks guys,
I was pretty sure that the capacitor would hold a charge and therefore be dangerous. I'll see if I can find someone here in town that'll look at it and see if they can provide a replacement.....might be a challenge in this small locale. The lathe is four years old so no warranty.:(

You know, with that Rikon being on sale right now and with a wedding anniversary approaching.....given the present circumstances it might be a good opportunity to by a spinny thing for the LOML....;) :rolleyes:

"Sweetie, can I borrow your lathe...." That's awful.

Tom,
Yep, that is the first piece to come off of the Rikon you sold me. And THANK YOU for all the help you gave me with the tailstock "problem." It was a pleasure to meet you.

Mark Pruitt
10-24-2006, 10:09 PM
...You got me good. Man, not much gets by you, does it?:eek: Between you and the pic police a poor guy just doesn't stand a chance around here.:p

That Rikon was calling my name. I'm going to repair the other one of course, but for a few reasons it made sense to add this one:
Now, once I repair my other lathe, the LOML and I will each have our own!:)

Creeker visit report: I met Tom Sherman at the Roanoke Woodcraft. He was extremely helpful when I had a concern with the tailstock on the Rikon, and could not have taken any better care of me than he did. I didn't even realize it was "our" Tom until I noticed his name badge. What a treat! In one weekend I scored a new mini lathe, met a fellow Creeker, enjoyed beautiful Autumn foliage during a trip to Roanoke and back, and completed a couple bowls. Now if I can just get the shop cleaned....

Oh! And by the way - aint there something you promised to email me a while back.
Oh yeah, the email. I knew there was something I needed to complete.;) :rolleyes: Should be finished this week.:D

Dennis Peacock
10-24-2006, 10:35 PM
OK Mark....You are now "off the hook". ;)

Congrats on the lathe and the visit with another fellow woodworker. :D :cool:

Laurie Brown
10-25-2006, 9:45 PM
Creeker visit report: I met Tom Sherman at the Roanoke Woodcraft. He was extremely helpful when I had a concern with the tailstock on the Rikon, and could not have taken any better care of me than he did. I didn't even realize it was "our" Tom until I noticed his name badge. What a treat! In one weekend I scored a new mini lathe, met a fellow Creeker, enjoyed beautiful Autumn foliage during a trip to Roanoke and back, and completed a couple bowls. Now if I can just get the shop cleaned....

I was beginning to wonder if I was the only woodworker in Roanoke! It would be nice to meet some other people in the local area. I am still something of a bgeinner, and was disappointed to find no real woodworking classes available around here. Woodcraft has some classes, but nothing that really interests me, since I'm not into the turning aspect.

Don Orr
10-26-2006, 2:27 PM
Guess you got caught NOT gloating about the new lathe and a creeker meet. Those guys are tough!:eek:

I understand most of what you said in the post except for the last part just before the email bit. What does it mean to "get the shop cleaned"? I'm not familiar with that concept;) ;) .

Mark Pruitt
10-26-2006, 4:13 PM
What does it mean to "get the shop cleaned"? I'm not familiar with that concept;) ;) .
I'm not either, as far as my own habits are concerned. My parents, OTOH, are so neat, I would say that they even keep the dust organized except there isn't any in thier neat house. I am living proof that neatness is NOT hereditary.:eek: :mad:

John Miliunas
10-26-2006, 7:22 PM
Awright, Mark! :D Obviously, NO excuses now for the Contest entries, right??? :D I work PT at the Woodcraft in Madison and the feedback I've gotten from our customers on the Rikon has been quite positive. You should be happy with that unit. Can't wait to see some stuff coming off of it! :)

As for a "clean shop".... Gads, that's for someone with too much time on their hands! :rolleyes: :D :cool:

Don Fuss
10-26-2006, 9:20 PM
Mark,

Very cool. I checked it out at our Woodcraft and it does look very nice in person.

I was beginning to wonder if I was the only woodworker in Roanoke! It would be nice to meet some other people in the local area. I am still something of a bgeinner, and was disappointed to find no real woodworking classes available around here. Woodcraft has some classes, but nothing that really interests me, since I'm not into the turning aspect.
Another Central VA woodworker chiming in. I'm close to Mark and we're only about 50 miles from Roanoke. I was actually just up at the Woodcraft a few hours ago drooling over the PM2000 display they just put up.

Tom Sherman
10-28-2006, 6:39 AM

Laurie don't loose hope as we speak there is a general woodworking class being worked on I think they hope to have it available after the first of the year. Don' let the lack of classes stop you from coming around everyone there is happy to help with problems/questions.

Mark I'm glad I was able to help looking forward to seeing some of the work that comes off of your lathe, be nice to see first hand what a real turner can do.

Laurie Brown
10-28-2006, 9:26 AM
Laurie don't loose hope as we speak there is a general woodworking class being worked on I think they hope to have it available after the first of the year. Don' let the lack of classes stop you from coming around everyone there is happy to help with problems/questions.

That's great news! I haven't been into the store in a while, I generally only stop in when I have money to spend, and that's been in short supply lately. I love to drool over the table saws on display there, as that's probably the tool I most need. Someday!

Mark Pruitt
10-28-2006, 9:37 AM
That's great news! I haven't been into the store in a while, I generally only stop in when I have money to spend, and that's been in short supply lately. I love to drool over the table saws on display there, as that's probably the tool I most need. Someday!
Ummm.....uhhh.....Laurie......a table saw has flat surfaces and a straight fence....that can get you into a lot of trouble with these spinny guys around here...:eek: :eek: :eek:

Tom, we're gonna have to work on her......

:D :D :D

Laurie Brown
10-28-2006, 9:41 AM
Ummm.....uhhh.....Laurie......a table saw has flat surfaces and a straight fence....that can get you into a lot of trouble with these spinny guys around here...:eek: :eek: :eek:

Tom, we're gonna have to work on her......

:D :D :D

Well, yeah, in THEORY they do... Mine doesn't, you see. It has a proprietary fence and miter slot system, an aluminum table, and the fence is crooked. And everything is non-adjustable. It was a really cheap saw, but I can't afford a nice one yet so I made do by building a nice table for it to sit on.

At least now I can saw on it without holding it down with my foot to prevent it from tipping over. :)

Jim Ketron
10-28-2006, 9:47 AM
Tablesaws make good Tables for holding bowl blanks:D
Thats what my tablesaw does now:D
Congrats on the new lathe Mark!