PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 2.0 - Final Version Released Today

Rick Doyle
10-24-2006, 5:26 PM
Mozilla has just released the final version of Firefox 2.0 - you can get free here:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Personally, I've never liked it that much. I'm pretty much a IE guy - especially now with the just released IE7!

Anyway, I'm going to download this new FF version and give it a try and see how it compares to IE - at least for me!

Jeffrey Makiel
10-24-2006, 5:55 PM
Ever since I started to use Mozilla Firefox, I've never had any issues like unwanted program scripts or keyboard jamb ups.

When you say 'final' version, does that mean it's going away for good?
-Jeff :)

Rick Doyle
10-24-2006, 7:04 PM
Final version just means they are finished with the 'beta' version testing process and the browser is now ready for release. Nothing is ever final with these browsers - they are the ultimate description of a 'work in progress'!

J. Scott Chambers
10-24-2006, 7:12 PM
Just finished installing it, I use FF for 99% of my surfing. Nice adblock addons, and Google Notebook.

Joe Pelonio
10-24-2006, 7:58 PM
I heard that IE7 has added features to "catch up with" Firefox.

Rick, O.T. but do you know the name of that restaurant up your way that's a log building with all shaved log stairs and railings inside? Stopped there for lunch one day and wanted to recommend it to someone going up that way.

Tim Burke
10-24-2006, 8:01 PM
IE7 is decent, especially the ability to get the entire width of a web page to print on a regular sheet of paper. Tabs are OK, but nothing special IMHO.

One thing I dislike about IE is that the favicons disappear after a few days in the favorites menu. They did in IE6, did NOT in IE7 beta, but do again in IE7 final. As minor as that sounds, I like being able to go through the Favorites menu and use the favicons as reference.

I found some reference to it on MS's website where the programmers acknowledge that "they still have some work to do". Sounds intentional to me to replace favicons with Microsoft's icon.

Tim

Rick Doyle
10-24-2006, 8:51 PM
Rick, O.T. but do you know the name of that restaurant up your way that's a log building with all shaved log stairs and railings inside? Stopped there for lunch one day and wanted to recommend it to someone going up that way.
Hi Joe,

I think you might be referring to the "Pioneer House" - that's the only one I can think of that fits the description near here. It's just 5 minutes from our house - my wife and I go there fairly often.

The "Pioneer House" is part of a small collection of stores called Whippletree Junction. Lot's of art's and crafty type stores etc. Next to the restaurant, my favourite is the Whippletree Auction! They have a great auction sale every Sunday from 11am-3pm - lot's of very good deals to be had each week - especially for tools and furniture. I love browsing thru all the stuff a couple of days before the auction.

Alex Shanku
10-25-2006, 12:26 AM
People rarely take advantage of FF's capabilities. Extensions are where it is at. Also, mouse gestures really speed up browsing.

Rob Bodenschatz
10-25-2006, 9:27 AM
I'm a Firefox guy but I've yet to check out IE7. No matter what anyone thinks of Firefox, competition is a good thing. MS probably would have just left IE alone if there wasn't someone else out there pushing them.