PDA

View Full Version : I need to hear experiences with

Bart Leetch
10-24-2006, 3:59 PM
Over the head & face battery powered filtered fresh air systems. Things like how well they seal quality of filtration & battery longevity & anything else you may have experienced with these systems.

Ted Calver
10-24-2006, 9:14 PM
Bart,
I've had a Trend Airshield for about a month and have been very pleased with it. I bought an extra battery and, with both batteries in it, the fan will run about 8 hours. Weight is not an issue and the unit has good adjustments for fit. I hardly know it's there and have tried to drink coffee through it a couple of times already. The unit works by a little fan creating positive, filtered air flow inside the mask, so it doesn't fit tightly like a respirator type mask. There is a wet suit like material that provides an intentionally loose seal. I can wear my glasses and because a tight fit is not critical, facial hair doesn't seem to affect performance. Drawbacks--The fan is a little noisy and the batteries take a looong time to recharge. Someone on another forum posted a way to build a faster charging battery pack that I might check out. Hope this helps you make your choice.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-24-2006, 9:22 PM
Bart.......I've had the Trend Airshield since June. Works great even during the summer heat when it keeps me from sweating and fogging my glasses!

Jim Becker
10-24-2006, 9:27 PM
I have the Trend and like it enough that I actually wear it when turning most of the time. That's very different from when I was using a "standard" face shield. The continuous air flow keeps the shield (and my safety glasses...you must still wear them!) clear of fogging and it's relatively comfortable to wear for a period of time. Quite humorously, I sometimes forget to put it up when I try and take a sip of my ice tea or something...

Tyler Howell
10-24-2006, 9:51 PM
OK Now the Big headed guys...... Must be all the brains.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
How does it fit for some one with a large head:confused: :confused:

Jim Bell
10-24-2006, 10:56 PM
I've had the Trend for 2+yrs and have nothing but praise for it. Like the poster above I routinely try to blow shavings away only to discover I'm wearing the unit.The fan noise on mine is noticeable but not a distraction.
Jim

Ken Fitzgerald
10-24-2006, 11:02 PM
OK Now the Big headed guys...... Must be all the brains.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
How does it fit for some one with a large head:confused: :confused:

Tyler,

I have a big head and I've been told more than once I'm fat headed:D .........It fits just fine and has some more adjustment in case of expansion. I tried on the Triton, the Trend and another brand for a couple of hours at Woodcraft. They hinted they were going to start charging me rent on the floor space and the three devices I was trying out. In the end I chose the Trend even though it was more expensive than the other two.

David Rose
10-25-2006, 12:30 AM
Bart,

I got the 3M Breathe Easy system a few years ago when allergies were about to shut me out of woodworking. That was back in Badger Pond days. I don't remember which headpiece I got or where I bought the setup. I can look that info up, if you want. I purchased a used system (new battery, charger, and many parts) that was a trade in from a plant to a supplier. The battery lasted 8 hours when new and did also when I tested it a few months ago. The belt pack contains the blower and battery, and I find it a bit bulky in my "tight" gara.. shop. I bump into things a bit with it on. The headpiece has enough pressure to keep out everything even with my beard. It blows into the headpiece harder than I can breathe. The headpiece is not uncomfortable, but I don't forget it is there. I think most of that comes from a slight distortion from glare off the shield mostly in peripheral areas. The shield had been replaced also, so reflection is not from scratching.

I can't say that I enjoy wearing the contraption, but it works and works very well, and is not terribly obtrusive. Oh, and the original filters were used for many dozens or even hundreds of hours and test still good. I got filters that were also good for vapors, organic I think. The tester came with the unit.

I can lookup anything that you would like. Also I can pull it out and take some pics, if that would help.

David

Ed Breen
10-25-2006, 3:34 PM
Bart,
I use a 3M 400 and it is quite comfortable. Last night I kept the visor down and turned off the fan a few times. At that point my glasses fogged and I turned the battery back on. I've never exhausted the battery. I like the fact that it has the second filtration suystem above my head in addition to the intake in the rear. I lost my battery chrger at one time and the replacement was $150.00 american.
Ed:confused: