PDA

View Full Version : Mounting a Plasma TV

Peter Stahl
10-24-2006, 2:38 PM
I was thinking of buying a 42" Panasonic HD Plasma TV soon and would like to know from those who installed them theirselves how they did it. I would probably buy it locally but I think I'd purchase the wall mount via the internet. CC and BB seem to be very high for wall mounts. I have several questions which I'll list below. I also think I would only connect a cable box and a DVD/VCR player to it.

1. Where did you get your wall mount?

2. What did you pay for it?

3. How did you run electric to it?

4. How did you run cables to it?

5. Would you do it yourself again?

Bob Childress
10-24-2006, 2:53 PM
I was thinking of buying a 42" Panasonic HD Plasma TV soon and would like to know from those who installed them theirselves how they did it. I would probably buy it locally but I think I'd purchase the wall mount via the internet. CC and BB seem to be very high for wall mounts. I have several questions which I'll list below. I also think I would only connect a cable box and a DVD/VCR player to it.

Best Buy. A universal wall-mount. This was nearly two years ago.

I think around $150.00.

Cut in a box behind the wall-mount (cable and electric) and fished up from an existing outlet and fished up cable from the crawlspace.

I didn't connect any peripherals to it. It is a "hang-alone" in the breakfast area just off the kitchen. But I have thought about a DVD player. Would probably mount it on a small shelf off to the side and just run the cable over.

5. Would you do it yourself again?

Yeah. Wasn't that hard. Just be sure to fasten the mount to studs, and I mean studs, no toggles. I believe mine is attached to the wall with 4 quarter-inch lag screws.

Jeffrey Makiel
10-24-2006, 6:12 PM

From 6th Avenue electronics were I bought the 42" plasma TV

Paid $150. It was a universal unit. Mailorder is cheaper, but shipping may be an issue. Also, try to buy a mount for a 42" TV. You really don't need the bigger size like mine that accomodates 50" on up, and they are significantly more expensive. Buy a mount that accomodates a small padlock for security. My 42" plasma TV is really not that heavy...I could lift it up myself although rather clumsy...but a theif would have no problem.

Right now, I just plugged it into a receptacle nearby.

Basically just one wire tied bundle between the TV and the DVD,Set-top cable box and surround sound.

5. Would you do it yourself again?[/quote]

Absolutely. The wall mount thru bolts into the wall studs with either 3/8" or 1/4" lag bolts. For the wiring, I followed the instructions which may or may not be easy since there are so many components involved.

I do recommend using HDMI cables for best picture quality in high definition mode, and secondarily using 'component' cables if you don't have enough HDMI jacks

Enjoy! -Jeff :)

Dave Richards
10-25-2006, 9:07 AM
Do you know anyone who works in the maintenance dept at a nearby hospital? You might ask around. They might have some extra GCX mounting hardware laying around. There is a track that mounts on the wall or inside a cabinet and various arms that slide into the track. You can cut the track if needed and the stuff is very secure.

http://www.gcx.com/gcx.asp

Larry Browning
10-25-2006, 9:14 AM
I posted a link to a web site about a TV lift kit and I think there is also a link to a source for wall mount kits as well.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=44759

Or just google TV wall mount

Peter Stahl
10-25-2006, 9:53 AM
Bob, Did you put the electric and cables in the same box?

Jim Becker
10-25-2006, 10:58 AM
Bob, Did you put the electric and cables in the same box?

'Can't do that...code...but you can use a side-by-side power/LV type box which provides isolation of the power and cable side.

Bob Childress
10-25-2006, 12:20 PM
I did what Jim said. Two boxes side by side.

Bob Childress
10-25-2006, 12:20 PM
I did what Jim said. Two boxes side by side.