PDA

View Full Version : Epilog Mini-18 vs 24TT

Jin Lee
10-24-2006, 2:27 PM
So, I've been waiting on a used Epilog Mini-18 w/ 35w laser to purchase for a month now and it looks like I won't be getting it for another month. I've been offered a used Epilog 24TT w/ a 45w laser for the same price instead. It's 2 years older but will be completely refurbished with a new laser tube (that's what I was told).

I was wondering, are there any major differences between the two in terms of internal components and drivers that I should be wary of? Any improvements in the newer model Mini-18 that have been refined since the 24TT? Any specific headaches I should ask about or know about in advance regarding the 24TT?

BTW, this is my first laser purchase so, go easy on me.

- J.

Joe Pelonio
10-24-2006, 2:39 PM
If you are planning to use it for a production business, I always advise to get the most power and largest work area you can afford. That gives the thumbs up to the 24tt 45 watt which is what I have. You can work with larger and thicker materials, faster.

On the other hand, if the mini is a later model, it would have the integrated vacuum table which the legend does not, and very important if you plan on using very thin and light materials that on mine will fly out the exhaust. If it's just for hobby use, the 12x18 size and lower power might be OK, especially if you don't often expect to cut more than 1/8" material.

Dave Jones
10-24-2006, 3:51 PM
If you know the year of manufacture for each machine you could call Epilog and talk to somebody in their tech support department about the differences. They are quite friendly. I asked them a couple of technical questions before I bought a used Epilog and they seemed happy to answer them.

I believe the Mini has a totally redesigned mechanical and optical system that might make it better in some ways. The tradeoff being the smaller size and less power.

Frank Corker
10-24-2006, 3:55 PM
I think you will find that the mini has more of some of the other necessities that are missing on the 24TT - does the 24 have the extractor unit? the cutting bed

Joe Pelonio
10-24-2006, 5:05 PM
Hey Frank, how's it over there?

On the 24tt the vector grid was optional, on a used one you'd want to make sure it came with it or price a new one, while the mini doesn't require a honeycomb because of the design for the vacuum
table. It's been a few months since I last saw one but I remember
it was a stainless steel sheet with small holes all over it.

Frank Corker
10-24-2006, 5:55 PM
Hi Joe, it's good thanks - I've just retired after 30 years in the police so I'm now living the dream!

Going back to this question, I must admit the power would be the thing I would go most for, nothing more frustrating than not having enough. The extractor, cutting grid and air assist are big issues that need to be considered, some big problems if you are in a confined space!

Tom Cole
10-24-2006, 6:44 PM
My Mini18 has an aluminum vector cutting grid that the stainless steel tray rests on. you use the tray with the small holes in it for raster and it acts as a vacuum table. remove the tray and you have a vector cutting grid. remove the grid and you can put very deep (6" i think) items on the bottom of the carrier. you also remove them both to attach the rotary attachment.

Jin Lee
10-24-2006, 6:45 PM
An air assist pump would come with the used 24TT as well as a vector table, which normally cost extra. The 24TT does NOT have the vacuum ability like the Mini-18 does.

I would be cutting mostly sheet styrene and 1/8" or thinner acrylic sheets. The odd paper cutting here and there, as well as 1/4" acrylic sheets. I might try my hand at cutting some carbon fiber and delrin sheets also... probably around 1/4" in thickness.

I'll try and give Epilog a call tomorrow to discuss the differences in depth.

- J.

Dave Fifield
10-24-2006, 6:57 PM
Jin, in the next few weeks, I will be upgrading from a Mini 24 to a Legend 36EXT. I will be selling my Mini 24 with air assist compressor and rotary attachment. Keep in touch....it might be the setup you're looking for!

Prior to getting the Mini 24, I had a Legend 24TT. I had them both side by side for a short while and did some comparisons. The Mini 24 did jobs in about 2/3rd the time the Legend 24TT took. Several other features made the Mini 24 a better choice for me too - like bottom up raster engraving and relocatable origin.

My advice would be to get the biggest work area you can afford. You will regret buying the smaller Mini 18 in around 6 months to a year IMO.

:Dave F.

Dave Jones
10-25-2006, 11:45 AM
Jin, one advantage of the Mini-24 that Dave mentioned is Epilog's "Radiance Optics" which are standard on the Mini-24, but I believe not on the Mini-18 (or any earlier models like the 24TT). This feature creates a smaller, more uniform and slightly more powerful spot than the older optics.