PDA

View Full Version : QO HV Breakers

James Kuhn
10-24-2006, 12:00 PM
Hey folks,
I have a 125amp qo subpanel and wanted to set up 30amp 2-pole breakers for a 2hp dc, 5hp j/p and a 5hp ts. I know that qo's have at least some quality benefits over a homelite (sp?), but I was wondering if any of these machines would require an "hv"/hvac rated breaker on top of that. Those things are pricey. Thanks,

James

John Renzetti
10-24-2006, 1:43 PM
Hi, I have the same panel in the 100amp version in my shop. I use the regular OQ CB's and they work fine. They've been there for going on 11yrs. now. But just to be on the safe side do check with the latest NEC regs for your locality to see if there are any special requirements.
take care,
John

Kent Fitzgerald
10-24-2006, 2:43 PM
James, I'm looking at the Square D catalog page for QO breakers (http://ecatalog.squared.com/catalog/173/html/sections/06/17306010.html) and I don't see any mention of "hv or "hvac" breakers. However, footnote "c" indicates that most of the standard breakers are "UL Listed as HACR type for use with air conditioning, heating and refrigeration equipment," which I suspect means the same thing.

BTW, the economy breakers are "Homeline." "Homelite" is economy chainsaws and weedwackers. :)

James Kuhn
10-24-2006, 5:23 PM
Thanks guys, the ones I've seen listed are qo230 (2pole/30amp),qo230gfi and qo230hv. I'll check with square-d and see what's what.

Mike Sommer
10-25-2006, 10:24 AM
James - you can just go with the QO230, the QO230GFI is a ground fault breaker for say a hot tub, the QO230hv and h are for use in a corner grounded delta transformer, with is not common. As far as HACR ratings, all the QO breakers are listed as such. Hope that helps, been in the electric field for a number of years now.

Mike

James Kuhn
10-25-2006, 10:52 AM
Thanks Mike, I've had a tough time finding out what where those hv breakers were used. Now I can't say I know what a corner grounded delta transformer is, but I can say I don't got one!:rolleyes: