PDA

View Full Version : Ouch!

Joe Pelonio
10-24-2006, 11:57 AM
Wasn't sure where to put this one. A customer came in for me to fabricate some items out of acrylic on the laser, parts for some kind of computer equipment. He had a huge bandage on one finger, so I asked what happened. Turns out he'd tried to do it himself on the router table,
wearing gloves, and the glove caught and pulled his finger into the spinning bit. It's now about 3/8" shorter. Sounds like wearing gloves when routing is a bad idea?

Jeffrey Makiel
10-24-2006, 1:22 PM
Let me add to that list: no gloves, no long sleeve shirts and no jewelry. And if you're a corporate woodworker, no necktie!
-Jeff :)

Chip Olson
10-24-2006, 3:03 PM
And if you're a scruffy hippie like me, keep the hair braided and tucked into the back of your shirt. (Actually, I should have LOML teach me how to put it up; it'll look silly but is probably safer.)

Patrick OBrien
10-24-2006, 10:27 PM
Small work pieces and high speed bits....tools for new nick names like 'Stumpy' & 'Lefty'. Some of the most talented woodworkers I know have been maimed by routers and shaper tables. Good advice on all points.

I have yet to hurt myself with my laser. It's early though.

Joe Pelonio
10-25-2006, 1:28 PM
Something going on around here, I may have to keep away from the power tools. I just had another customer come in, he had big bandages on his thumb and forefinger. So, I had to ask. His was a table saw. He was ripping a 4x8 sheet of plywood with no table extension, it started to bounce on the end and kicked back. The surgeon stitched the thumb and reattached the top part of the finger. :eek: