PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly GO462 - Specs look good!

Dale Gregory
10-24-2006, 10:10 AM
Here is another lathe I just came across that looks good for a beginner like myself. It's a bit more money than the Rikon or Jet Mini's but looks like a lot more machine also. 16" Swing, Headstock swivels for outboarding, 2HP motor, cast iron base........... Anyone have any experience with this Grizzly model?

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0462

Dale

Frank Fusco
10-24-2006, 3:05 PM
When I first saw that model in the Grizzly store in Springfield, MO, I couldn't believe what they were offering at that price. I have the G1067Z at more than $100.00 above that price and it isn't the machine that this G0462 is. I asked one of the managers about this seeming contradiction. He said that Grizzly is moving lot of it's manufacturing from Taiwan factories to mainland China. And the result is better quality at lower prices and this is just one of the better new machines they will be offering. It looks like a winner. Only downside, as others have pointed out in other threads, the lowest speed is quite a bit faster than many are comfortable with on large, irregular blanks. Other than that, I believe it is every bit the lathe as those costing $1000.00 more money.

Dario Octaviano
10-24-2006, 3:56 PM
Again, check the actual HP on this.... their claim of 2 HP is a suspect and I actually read that they (Grizzly) themselves admitted that is an error. But looks like they are not correcting it anytime soon.

Mike Vickery
10-24-2006, 3:59 PM
I have no idea about the lathe but the fact it is a 110 volt and are claiming 2 HP looks suspect to me. Usually most of the 2 HP motors I see are 220, the highest I usually see with 110 is 1 1/2 HP.

I do not knwo anything about motors but that is my observation.

Jeff Yates
10-24-2006, 4:42 PM
I would be interested to read some reviews on this...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this a VS machine?

So for about $100 more than the Jet Mini VS, you get it on a stand, more stock clearance and more bed space?

Dale Gregory
10-24-2006, 7:45 PM
I would be interested to read some reviews on this...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this a VS machine?

So for about $100 more than the Jet Mini VS, you get it on a stand, more stock clearance and more bed space?

Jeff, Spec.sheet says 10 speeds from 600-2400. So I'm assuming it is variable speed drive within that range.

If you wanted to lower the speed would you be able to change either the motor or spindle pulley to achieve this?

Looks good for under $500 shipped. I agree, the HP rating looks like a mistake, I'm guessing 1 HP max.

Jeff Yates
10-24-2006, 8:17 PM
Well I guess tommorrow I'll be calling Grizzly to get some answers...

I will let you know what they tell me, and I"ll continue to try and confirm it independently

Dale Gregory
10-28-2006, 8:52 PM
Well I guess tommorrow I'll be calling Grizzly to get some answers...

I will let you know what they tell me, and I"ll continue to try and confirm it independently

Hey Jeff, ever get in touch with Grizzly? Waiting to hear the full report!

Tony Kent
10-29-2006, 2:32 AM
Hellooo
I have this lathe and it is very nice for the price. It does have a reeves drive(I am not a huge fan of the reeves drive even though they have made it easier to change speeds), and yes the lowest speed is 600rpm. When you mount a large unbalanced blank it can be a wild ride.
I do not use this lathe anymore since I saw a deal on a Delta with the electronic speed control thingy with 16" clearance...it was such a deal I just had to buy it. I am currently converting my grizzly to a 1.5 horse motor with a variable speed unit and have removed the reeves drive. Although I must admit it is taking a while to complete since I have the other lathe. The griz will run on 220 when I am done and my Delta uses 110. I am keeping both since I have to make porch posts soon. I am also hoping that if one or both of my Nephews want to get into turning they will have access to a lathe. I think too if I get the beal system that it would be a nice place to mount it.
If you are very careful and deligent with the bandsaw while rounding off blanks this grizz lathe is very good, I just so happened upon the delta deal.
You will find that the fit and finish is ok, but you might want to do a few things to it before using like, sanding and polishing the bed and the tailstock so they slide nice and easy. Which reminds me what do you folks put on the lathe bed to protect it and to make things slide better?
For a 16" swivel and sliding headstock with the bed length it is really a great deal. I do reccomend grizzly on many things since I have had experience with them and know that they follow through which equals really good costumer service.
Take care all,
Tony
PS and no I am not connected to Grizzly at all:) Just a happy customer
Ah and one more thing....and sorry to grizz on this....that outboard extension...um throw it out! I have heard nothin but bad stories about those. They crack, break etc. They seem dangerous to me, I would rather make or buy a tool rest that is on the floor. be safe and have fun.