PDA

View Full Version : strength of table top Z clips

John Piwaron
10-22-2003, 5:34 PM
I'm at the point in my table construction where I need to consider exactly what I'm going to do to attach the top to the aprons.

I was thinking I'd make wooden Ls to do the attachment, but also the metal Zs sold at Rockler or Woodcraft come to mind. However, they look a little small for a dining table.

What do you think? Are they really strong enough, or should I go with something beefier?

Steve Jenkins
10-22-2003, 6:16 PM
John, how strong do they need to be? If the top is made from veneer and just edged with solid then you can use pocket screws to fasten it. If it is solid I use a single pocket screw in the center of each end and the metal clips on the corners and the sides. basically use whichever you want depending on whether or not you like pocket screws. When I use the clips i make the slot with my biscuit joiner rather than a continuous slot. I feel it is stronger which matters when you are picking up and turning the table on edge to move it.

Dennis Peacock
10-22-2003, 6:21 PM
John,

I used the Z fasteners on the LOML's kitchen table. Believe me, they will hold up. LOML's table is larger than your average table and also wider than the standard table....all red oak and HEAVY!!!! The entire table can be lifted up by the top that is sucured with Z fasteners without any problem of them pulling or bending.

Just my experiences.

John Piwaron
10-22-2003, 8:38 PM
John,

I used the Z fasteners on the LOML's kitchen table. Believe me, they will hold up. LOML's table is larger than your average table and also wider than the standard table....all red oak and HEAVY!!!! The entire table can be lifted up by the top that is sucured with Z fasteners without any problem of them pulling or bending.

Just my experiences.

How thick is the top of your table? It sounds like it's pretty heavy.

On mine, the top is 1 1/4 thick mesquite, solid, no veneer. It's 36" wide x 60" long. The apron and legs are hard maple. The apron is 1" thick. The top alone has become too heavy for me to lift alone without risk of me damaging it. There's serious weight here.

I hadn't planned on using any screws at all to fix it to the aprons. Previously I had used 8 or so wooden Ls to hold a 3/4 red oak top to the frame of the coffee table in my living room. No screws. That top has neither warped or shifted on the frame. However, the metal Zs are attractive 'cause I'm just getting antsy to see it in use in the kitchen.

John Preston
10-23-2003, 9:40 AM
I would buy two bags (I think I bought mine from WW supply though) for a large table.

I used one bag for the table I posted last week, only 36x36, and I was impressed by their toughness. I made the kerf a little lower than the clips natural bend so they were tensioned a little, and it worked like a champ. You could even use 1" screws if your table top is 1-1/4. I've done wood blocks, used biscuits, and I don't remember what else, but these were by far the easiest, and they don't look awful. Pretty darn strong.

Jim DeLaney
10-23-2003, 10:20 AM
I've used them on several tables, of varying sizes, with good results each time.

They're very strong, and I'd say the grip of the screw is the only strength-limiting factor. All my tabletops have been either maple or oak, so I've not had any failure problems...

BTW, rather than run a kerf all around the aprons, I've been using my biscuit joiner to cut slots only where I need them. Works well.

John Piwaron
10-23-2003, 11:03 AM
Thanks for all the advise.

I'll give the metal Zs a chance. If it doesn't work out, I could change to some other system. But judging from all the words of encouragement, I think they will.

Dennis Peacock
10-23-2003, 11:44 AM
How thick is the top of your table? It sounds like it's pretty heavy.

On mine, the top is 1 1/4 thick mesquite, solid, no veneer. It's 36" wide x 60" long. The apron and legs are hard maple. The apron is 1" thick. The top alone has become too heavy for me to lift alone without risk of me damaging it. There's serious weight here.

John,

The table is 100% solid red oak. I used no veneer. The top is 1" thick, 45" wide and 88" long. I used 5/4 red oak (in the rough) to produce the lumber for this table. Yes, it IS heavy. Took two people to move the base and the top in seperate pieces. Fitted the top and base together once moved into the house. The LOML wanted a table big enough to sit 12 people around....so I made her one. ;)