PDA

View Full Version : Calling Professor Andy

Christopher K. Hartley
10-24-2006, 7:53 AM
Andy, I'm posting this request here as I believe there are others like myself who may also be interested. You have a Walnut Bowl posted on the Maine Turners site that you cut a design into (I suppose to cover a crack). http://www.mainewoodturners.org/html/andy_hoyt.html I thought I had read something here but couldn't find the thread.
Anyway, would you be so kind as to take some time and talk about how you did that, the tools you used and any issues we should be aware of? I really think that is a most beautiful bowl and am interested in learning how to do something like that. I know you are pretty busy, so any time you can is good. Thanks;)

Andy Hoyt
10-24-2006, 9:46 AM
Thanks, Chris. Here's the thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=40695

Geez, that was a couple of months ago and you expect me to rememeber! Sheesh - I don't even recall what I had for breakfast!

As I recollect, David had left a tenon on the bottom so I trued that up and reshaped the exterior removing all evidence of his effort. It was at this point that the crack appeared, but it only showed up on the exterior surface - the inside was still unblemished. So I whacked away at the exterior with a big bowl gouge and created the scalloped effect in the hopes that I could stop the crack from worsening. Didn't work.

So I just prettied it up as best I could and did the same on the inside. It was a thumpy ride. Sanding was worse as the crack ate sandpaper like mad, so I ended up doing a lot of hand sanding.

After the consultation with some friends here and with my wife, I gave it to her and she drew the shape on the bowl to be cut out. I removed the bulk of the waste with a saber saw and then she used an assortment of weaponry to achieve the final look. A dremel, a Foredom, and a multitude of carving knives all came into play. And then I had to hand sand the whole thing over again, because the process understandibly boogered up pretty much the whole thing.

I really liked how the piece ended up and it has inpired a lot more collaborative work between us. I think there are maybe six or seven items I've turned that are in various stages of embellishment right now in her studio. Yup - studio, what can I say!

Christopher K. Hartley
10-27-2006, 5:26 AM
Thanks Andy, I appreciate this.:)

Jim Becker
10-27-2006, 9:57 AM
This is a great way to salvage a big piece without making it smaller...I did the same on a large bubinga platter a couple years ago, doing some relief carving (a first for me) over a radial crack, rather than reducing the diameter. Highly recommended!