PDA

View Full Version : I finally found a 5C at a flea market

John Schreiber
10-24-2006, 2:13 AM
I just picked up a rusty damaged Stanley Baily 5C at a flea market for $11.00 (gloat). After soaking it in Liquid Wrench for a couple of days, I got it apart and got a good look at it. It will take some work, but will make a fine user. Questions.

There are four little "v"s that appear to have been filed out of the front of one of the wings. Did people used to do things like that to identify their tools?

The tote and the knob are literally chewed up. Some medium sized critter left toothmarks on the knob and removed almost 1/4" of the tote. Is rosewood tasty?

I plan to machine/carve a new tote out of cocobolo. Is it safe to make it a little taller and a little more upright to fit my big hands? Or will the ghost of Stanley come back to haunt me for messing with perfection.

The only piece missing was the screw for the front of the tote. I understand from Stanley Blood and Gore that it's probably a non-standard thread. Where can I get a replacement.

The blade is pitted. Should I order an A2 replacement from Lee Valley or is there a better option.

Thank you Neanders.

Larry Rose
10-24-2006, 7:15 AM
John, the notches on your plane must be an ID mark as you summised. As far as the tote, you can make a new one but read the section in Blood and Gore about Stanley changing their totes. New totes, handles,the screw you are missing and a lot more parts are available from Highland Hardware and others. I dont know about the LV replacement iron but if its thicker then the origional I'm sure its good. I have an old #4 with a Hock iron in it and the difference between it and the origional is remarkable. Good luck.

Tyler Howell
10-24-2006, 9:04 AM
Sounds like a good user. You make that tote any way you want.
It is not uncommon for users to cut down, or beef up the parts to suit.
Lots of spare parts around. Go out and find another for parts. If you can't find them PM me. I may be able to help.;)

jonathan snyder
10-24-2006, 11:20 PM
John,
Nice score! For a replacement tote screw, check with Sandy Moss (http://www.sydnassloot.com/tools.htm). I just got a cap iron screw and a rosewood knob for a #140 from him for a couple of bucks.

I have one of LV's A2 blades. It is thicker than the stock blade and performs very well. However, the A2 steel takes much more effort to sharpen, but does seem to hold its edge longer. Due to the thickness, of the blade it really chokes the throat of the plane, you almost need to file the throat a bit.

Have fun tuning it up!

Jonathan

Jeff Borges
10-26-2006, 12:28 AM
I can add my two cents here, too. I use the hock blades.. and am very happy with them.

As far as choking the throat, if you are against opening the throat for any reason, you can move the frog back ever so slightly (it takes a bit of tweaking, but is doable) this may seem against the norm of having the frog and mouth aligned , but the bevel on the thicker blade makes that unnecessary. give it a shot.. if you aren't happy, you can then realign the frog and file the mouth open slightly.

Good score, I have a 5c and a 4c, they are fun to work with.

enjoy!

Jack Ferrell
10-26-2006, 2:22 AM
John, you might try this site for Stanley plane parts here http://www.antique-used-tools.com/comparts.htm . No affiliation and haven't done business with him, just happened to find it online last year.

Mike Weaver
10-26-2006, 7:22 AM
John,

There are four little "v"s that appear to have been filed out of the front of one of the wings. Did people used to do things like that to identify their tools?
Sounds like ID marks to me, but I've never seen them like that.

I plan to machine/carve a new tote out of cocobolo. Is it safe to make it a little taller and a little more upright to fit my big hands? Or will the ghost of Stanley come back to haunt me for messing with perfection.
Nah, go for it, but be sure to orient the grain like the original and be sure to
countersink the bolt hole so the original bolt fits.

The only piece missing was the screw for the front of the tote. I understand from Stanley Blood and Gore that it's probably a non-standard thread. Where can I get a replacement.
Others have posted good suggestions and I would only add that you might also want to check out the Mid-West Tool Collectors Association (MWTCA) web site (mwtca.org) for other dealers if the ones mentioned don't have what you need.

BTW, there was a guy who was selling rosewood totes at the PATINA (similar to mwtca) show a few years back. Seems to me it was something like $10 for a tote that only needed sanding. Of course, it was very similar to the original and not what you're after.

The blade is pitted. Should I order an A2 replacement from Lee Valley or is there a better option.
You might check - there was an online article I read recently about how LV was lapping the backs of their O-1 blades already and should be doing the A2 stuff later. I'd go with whatever blade has been prelapped on the back, but that's just my $.02

Good find, but with no pics, I'm not sure it happened. :eek:

-Mike
PS I'm pic challenged a lot too...:(