PDA

View Full Version : Bleaching???

Jonathon Spafford
10-23-2006, 11:15 PM
Two questions... how do you bleach wood/what solution do you use? Would regular clorox work? And will bleaching work on any wood???

Dennis Peacock
10-23-2006, 11:39 PM
Jonathon,

I've used Oxalic Acid to bleach wood a time or two. Stuff is TOXIC and you don't wanna breath the powder and use chemical gloves when applying. I believe I got mine at Wal Mart. Remember, a little goes a long way. Mix it with warm/hot water and may take several applications to get your desired lightness of color. Neutralize it with water and wash it "well". If you turn the wood after the bleaching? Remember to wear a good respirator as the some residue of the bleach could still be in the wood and you don't wanna breath that either.

Frank Kobilsek
10-26-2006, 12:13 PM
Jonathon
At the AAW Symposium Betty Scarpino talked about bleaching. She recomeneded a Wood Bleach from Strip-ease. Its a 2 part liquid product. Home Depo carries it but not in all stores. I know because my local store is a medium sized Home Depo and does not have it. I'm still looking to buy some but her demo showed her making walnut into maple, pretty amazing.
Frank

Anthony Yakonick
10-26-2006, 5:37 PM
Kleenstrip is the name

Bleached boxelder

Frank Kobilsek
10-26-2006, 7:59 PM
Thanks Anthony, you are right. Nice work. That was another thing Betty pointed out was that the bleach would not effect the red streak in Box Elder.
Frank

Frank Fusco
10-27-2006, 9:40 AM
Thanks Anthony, you are right. Nice work. That was another thing Betty pointed out was that the bleach would not effect the red streak in Box Elder.
Frank

That's good to know. OTOH, does it have any effect on possibly 'fixing' the colors which naturally have a tendancy to turn dark with time?