PDA

View Full Version : spur center question

Stephen Hibbs
10-23-2006, 11:12 PM
I got some birthday money (and lots of birthday turning stock!!!) and I thought this was a good time to replace my crap spur center that came with my HF lathe. I'm looking at the woodcraft basic $25 ones, and I'm wondering if I should go with a 2-spur or 4-spur piece. What are the pros and cons of either? My mentor uses a 2-spur, but I've only ever used 4-spur units.

Dennis Peacock
10-23-2006, 11:43 PM
Stephen,

I don't have a 2-spur drive center, but I've read where the 2-spur centers don't have as likely a chance of splitting the wood or spinning out of the wood as the 4-spur centers do. You just have to remember to line the spurs up across the grain of the wood instead of lining it up with the wood. I know several folks that use the "steb centers" with very good success. Might wanna look into one of those.

Bernie Weishapl
10-24-2006, 12:09 AM
Stephen I got the two Steb type centers from PSI. The point is spring loaded so you don't have to drive the center into the wood. They are also multi toothed. I like mine a lot and have used any other type since.

Stephen Hibbs
10-24-2006, 12:24 AM
Those steb centers from psi are cheap too, I think I'll look into one of those. Does anyone know if the grizzly chuck will be able to use the psi spur drive insert? It's compatible with all psi chucks, and my grizzly is supposed to be a close knock-off.

Frank Fusco
10-24-2006, 9:45 AM
Those steb centers from psi are cheap too, I think I'll look into one of those. Does anyone know if the grizzly chuck will be able to use the psi spur drive insert? It's compatible with all psi chucks, and my grizzly is supposed to be a close knock-off.

Not sure what you are asking. Centers fit into the Morse Taper of the headstock. Grizzly's (mine is a G1067Z) are #2 MT. Basically universal fit.

Bernie Weishapl
10-24-2006, 10:01 AM
(http://www.pennstateind.com/store/lcentts2.html)
http://www.pennstateind.com/graphics/LCENTSS21-T.jpg (http://www.pennstateind.com/store/lcentss21.html)
#2 MT Super Center (5/8" CROWN)
(http://www.pennstateind.com/store/lcentss21.html)
Stephen this is the one I got. I know at one time they had in their catalog a 5/8" and 1". I like it real well and reach for it most of the time.

Don Orr
10-24-2006, 4:27 PM
I'm with Bernie on the PSI Super center (Steb-type). I rarely use the 4 point anymore. I just got the larger 1" Super center and have not had a chance to use it yet. I like the smaller 5/8" a lot. For large bowl blanks that I might want to reposition during the rough out phase I do use a 2-prong drive set well into good wood under the bark.

I also use a 4 prong drive center insert in my Oneway chucks. It's big and heavy and you don't have to keep taking the chucks on and off. Works well. Is that what you are asking about the insert? Don't know if the Griz will fit the PSI though or vice versa.

Stephen Hibbs
10-24-2006, 5:10 PM
Yes, I was asking about the insert that goes into the psi chucks, not direnctly into the lathe. I really only use my spur center for roughing out stock, and rarely turn between centers otherwise. Would the super center be good for roughing, or would I be better off with a 2-spur center?

Jim Becker
10-24-2006, 10:00 PM
I have both a two spur and a four spur drive center as well as a mini (1/2") four spur center. If I picked up another, I'd get one of the Stebb-centers as illustrated above to use from time to time and for when I'm teaching someone in the rare moment I do so. The two flute really comes in handy when you have a very uneven hunk of wood to work on, especially with the bark on.

That said, I also recently obtained one of the drive centers that goes in my Talon chuck and it's a wonderful thing to have since I like to start everything between centers and play with the wood until I find the orientation I want. Then and only then is a tenon cut on the piece and the chuck utilized to hold it for the real work...

Mark Pruitt
10-24-2006, 10:30 PM
Sorby Stebcentre here. I have nothing but good to say for it. A true pleasure to use. Check out the Sorby website for a few video clips of the Stebcentre in use.

Stephen Hibbs
10-24-2006, 11:45 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. I think I'll get a 2-but spur since I mostly use it with uneven blanks, and rarely just turn between centers.