PDA

View Full Version : OT: Of interest to some - Hosting

Lincoln Myers
10-22-2003, 1:50 PM
Some here may be interested in this...
I heard about and signed up for an offer from www.oneandone.com for 3years of free web hosting including 500MB of storage.

Read the details here:
http://order.1and1.com/xml/static/Faq;jsessionid=E3DCEE630735772972B44EA0E492B649.TC 61b?__frame=_top

No credit card or anything required. I have a good existing Hosting Plan elsewhere, but for FREE you can't beat it.

No affiliation etc.

-Linc

http://order.1and1.com/xml/static/Faq;jsessionid=E3DCEE630735772972B44EA0E492B649.TC 61b?__frame=_top

Charles McKinley
10-22-2003, 8:23 PM
Hi Loncoln,

So whats the catch? Please up date us in a month or so if you are still happy with it. I need to build a web site someday.

Dave Hammelef
10-22-2003, 11:17 PM
Well I just signed up. So far so good, It appears to be a larger (corperate) web hosting company that wants to grow in the small areana. How do you advertise such things -- Well they chose to spend the money on free hosting for 3 yrs and hope to get lots of word of mouth.

Stay tuned

Mike Evertsen
10-23-2003, 1:07 AM
looks like they give you the software to build a web page too,,
I been with go daddy I think I'll stay,,I'm not that good with this stuff and I might make mess if try to change,,,,,

Ian Barley
10-23-2003, 3:41 AM
I get all my domains from OneandOne in the UK and run a hosting account with them too. They have always been very good and I plan to switch all my hosting over to them some time this winter.

They have a very automated system which is efficient and reasonably friendly. I have never had cause to resort to their tech support so cannot speak for that.

For what the opinion is worth I would consider this a good deal and would trust OneandOne as far as I trust any corporation.

No affiliations etc. Just the view of a satsified customer.

Keith Outten
10-23-2003, 6:39 AM
(Begin Sarcasm)
Geez! I just love to see listings for free hosting services given that our sponsor is a web hosting provider. When we lose all of our hosting customers how will we be able to continue hosting SawMill Creek for free?

Hey I have an idea...We could provide free hosting on a slow server, oversell our bandwidth and sell your email addresses to spammers.
(End Sarcasm)

Not much of a deal if you ask me, there is always a catch. Sometimes it takes awhile to find out what you will be sacrificing. All you guys who work for the phone company...I wonder how you would feel if I was providing free phone service, or free insurance, etc.

How would you feed your families?
How will you feel when we have to announce that SawMill Creek cannot continue?
When all of the competition is gone will your hosting company still be free?

Brad Schafer
10-23-2003, 7:39 AM
keith - i missed it ... who hosts SMC, and where is it hosted? if email is better, fine.

curious,

b

Noah Alkinburgh
10-23-2003, 8:00 AM
keith - i missed it ... who hosts SMC, and where is it hosted? if email is better, fine.

curious,

b

If I am not mistaken it is Hampton Roads Online

http://www.hroads.net/

Noah

Glenn Clabo
10-23-2003, 8:37 AM
Keith,
I understand how you feel...I was amazed when I read it. Maybe it's time to make sure everyone here now and those who sign up later understands who is footing the bill for SMC?

Keith Outten
10-23-2003, 10:00 AM
Thanks Glenn, our main concern since we started SawMill Creek has always been how we could remain free of any advertising. Even our only sponsor isn't represented graphically which isn't a major concern as we host SawMill Creek as a community service. We don't do this for any other purpose.

Funding raised from our web hosting services pays all the bills for hosting SawMill Creek. Administrators and Moderators are all volunteer so our labor costs are limited to System Administration which Hampton Roads Online provides for free.

Here is something for everyone to think about.

Three years ago there were over 23,000 Internet Providers in America, today there are less then 2,000 that still exist. Destined to become extinct in the near future local ISP's are being replaced by big businesses, even public monopoly's have eaten away at the business that we started. Services that are funded by advertising are paying the bills for the large companies, spam and junk banners are the result.

Hampton Roads Online could make more money selling our email list than all of the services we provide combined. We have never sold our members information simply because it is an unethical business practice and a violation of our customers trust. This policy will be the sole reason for our company closing our doors in the future as we are subscriber based company. We don't sell advertising.

Lincoln Myers
10-23-2003, 10:44 AM
Guilty as charged.
I apologize for the poor judgement in posting this offer here at SawMill Creek.

I did know the arrangement that HRO was the sponsor for this site, however, that peice of knowledge failed me when I needed it.

My motivation for posting this here (and at WC) was there seems to be a need/want by many for some sort of online storage space, for WW pics, project progress etc. A lot of people don't have the $ or at justification to spend the $ on hosting.

I thought this offer was a good opportunity for people new to websites/hosting/storage to give it a shot free of charge and see if it would be useful to them.

--Linc

Ken Garlock
10-23-2003, 10:46 AM
I for one am very very happy with the way you are running SMC. It is truly a Gentleman's and Lady's forum. Specifically, I like the use of real names, not some stupid handle.

A couple months ago, you showed some of your laser work on denim material. At that time you had hinted at possibly making some shop aprons and putting a laser design on them. Did that project die due to lack of interest?

When they first came out, I bought an SMC cap, ruler, and square. At last look, I don't find the "store". Is it closed for good, of just on vacation :confused:

Thanks for looking out for our interests. :)

Dennis Peacock
10-23-2003, 10:49 AM
Hampton Roads Online could make more money selling our email list than all of the services we provide combined. We have never sold our members information simply because it is an unethical business practice and a violation of our customers trust. This policy will be the sole reason for our company closing our doors in the future as we are subscriber based company. We don't sell advertising.

So what is the cost to be hosted by Hampton Roads for a personal web site? What if SMC members wanted to have their personal web spaces served by HR..???

Dennis Peacock
10-23-2003, 11:19 AM
I can see that this is going to be something like all our IT jobs going across the pond to "other" countries cause the cost is a lot less for labor. If 60% of all the IT jobs wind up overseas, then who is going to have jobs in the U.S. to keep the economy going? Catch my drift?

Don't Americans support Americans any more?

Jackie Outten
10-23-2003, 12:31 PM
Dennis,

Ray and I are working up a price for personal web hosting for our sawmill creek members. We will post this information sometime tomorrow.

Jackie Outten

Keith Outten
10-23-2003, 1:05 PM
Lincoln,

My first post in this thread was not aimed at you specifically, it is difficult to compete against a public monopoly who is guarenteed a profit by the state much less those who provide simular services for "Free". If I had been upset about you posting the message I would have deleted it, sharing information is a major part of what SawMill Creek is about so I let the thread stand.

Ken.

Thanks for supporting the SawMill Creek Store, it was removed because the interest level was very low. Since we don't have to sell items to generate income at this point it seemed pointless to ask Jackie to keep up with the paperwork along with her other duties. We created the Store because we had a huge response when we asked if our members wanted us to provide SMC products, it wasn't done to raise money.

I should clarify our position for the record. SawMill Creek is not a business. Our sponsor, Hampton Roads Online (HRO), is a Class "C" Corporation registered in Virginia and must remain profitable to stay in business. As long as HRO is in a position to serve as our only sponsor we can exist as we are now without the need for financial support.

Dennis,

Jackie and Ray are looking at a special program for SMC members, she will respond to your question ASAP. As far as Americans supporting each other it seems that we definately do until money becomes an issue. Sadly we are not as competitive in the marketplace since our government places such a high tax burden on us and we have OSHA regulations and Social Security and other social programs to support. The rest of the world dosen't have our overhead and they know our military will protect them when they get in trouble. The loss of jobs in America will make it very difficult for our government to continue giving our hard earned money away.

I have voted in every election since I was 18, if every American would vote it would make a difference.

-Grinning- Maybe it's time to organise another tea party and make another deposit in Boston Harbor. -End of Grin-

Ted Shrader
10-23-2003, 1:21 PM
. . . .
I have voted in every election since I was 18, if every American would vote it would make a difference.

I missed one election. But I was deployed on a submarine. We left before the absentee ballots were ready. :mad:

Ted

Jackie Outten
10-27-2003, 10:59 AM
So what is the cost to be hosted by Hampton Roads for a personal web site? What if SMC members wanted to have their personal web spaces served by HR..???

Dennis,

After talking with Ray we have determined that we can host a personal (noncommercial) website for $60 per year with 5 MB of space.

Jackie Outten
Hampton Roads Online