PDA

View Full Version : Windfall

ROBERT ELLIS
10-23-2006, 9:39 PM
I was going to post a thread a couple of weeks ago and it was to be titled something like "I wanted to cry all night long". But events have changed so drastically that I just had to share this story. My apologies for it's lengthyness, but its a horrible story with a happy ending. A couple of weeks ago my friend came down to visit me, and he told me of an auction at his hometown that was coming up (high school selling off woodworking tools). I had already made plans to do a show to sell my "wares" so I just told him if he seen a large bandsaw going cheap I wanted him to buy it for me.

The day of the auction he tried frantically to contact because the stuff was selling dirt cheap. I didn't have a cell phone so I couldn't be reached. That night I called him about the auction and he told be everything went dirt cheap. What's dirt cheap I asked? Large Delta Table saw, 40.00, large bandsaw, 40.00, large planer, 25.00. etc. I had previously told him the week before I wouldn't be interested in anything 3 phase so he wound up buying only a 12 speed floor model drill press for 25.00, which he said I could have for what he paid for it. This part of the story was to be the crying all night long part.

Fast forward two weeks

I had a free Saturday (this past one) so I decided to travel to see him (165 miles away), stay the night, and pick up my consolation prize (the drill press) but first I would make a stop at a dealer and he wound up buying 450.00 worth of my cutting boards. I get there to my friends house and thought about choking him on mine and all fellow woodworkers behalf for not buying the tools at the auction. We joke around about the missed opportunity, his son is there (he was the auction as well) and he verified what the pieces went for. I wanted him to verify this for me because I had been doubtful as to all of this being true. He substantiated it all, and at one point I put my hand over my ears and didn't want to hear anymore...

now for the roller coster ride...

I looked at my friend and said are you sure you don't know anyone there at the auctions name that might have bought the bandsaw? He thought for a moment and just like a lightbulb went off he remembered the guy who bought the bandsaw.

I again apologize for the length...but this really gets to be almost unbelievable. We call the guys house, wife answers and say's she believes he'll sell some of them. She gives us his cell phone and he agrees to meet us at his house (8 miles away). He's at a cattle sale and we beat him there. No tools. Panic is setting in...the guy arrives, and says we've passed up the building where the tools are. We back track and look to see a gooseneck setting outdoors full of tools (rusting away, already been 3 weeks). I start seeing a Rockwell/Delta 20" bandsaw, Rockwell/Delta turning lathe w/varible speed handle, heavy duty metal cutting bandsaw, 8" old Powermatic joiner, and a model 20 Delta drill press. By this time I'm trying to keep my composure, and before we can talk prices, he say's oh by the way I have a real nice table saw in the barn you need to see. I'm starting to feel like I've stepped into the twilight zone, almost in a state of shock...we get in the vehicle and drive to the barn, open the doors and there sets a late model unisaw.

Lets back up just a little bit...Earlier, before he arrived, we kindof looked around at his farm and his collection of what I would call junk and I thought he could go either way, either want a fortune and just set on the equipment or sell it for very little.

State of shock...I sheepishly ask him want he wants for all of the pieces and he says $_______By this time my head is swimming and my knees are about to buckle, so I restate that I want to buy it all. And the price he quotes is for it all. I get out my checkbook, write the check for 50.00 over what he asked because I got him to throw in a table and delivery of the tools to my friends building.

To close...next morning he arrives with the tools, we unload, and everyones happy. The best I could do for the meantime was to spray wd-40 and all the tables, gears, bearings and leave them there to pickup in the next couple of weeks. I could clean these up and resale for a Hugeprofit, but I've decided to keep the unisaw, 20" bandsaw, and lathe. My brother and his son have been looking for a table saw, joiner, so I thought I would bestow my 10" Grizzly TS and the powermatic joiner to him for a fraction of what their worth, with the stipulation he has to offer to sell to me first if they decide to ever get rid of them. My neighbor across the street I'm going to give the metal BS if he will haul back all of this for me. Another friend and fellow woodworker is interested in the Large Drill press. I'll probably try to just get back my money on it.

Pictures...didn't have a digital camera, so I bought a disposable. Just got the pics back today, and have had a hard time trying to get them on my computer. I have a couple low quality pics I'm going to try to upload in this post. Once I get them home I'll be able to show more...

Robert

footnote: to my friends credit the reason he didn't buy at the auction was because I specifically told him I wasn't interested in anything 3 phase (which most of these were). My instructions was based on, what I thought was a mutual understanding of anything 3 phase going for high hundreds/thousands I wouldn't be interested in. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine them going for less than 40/50.00 a piece.

Roy Wall
10-23-2006, 9:57 PM
Robert,

I believe you got the deal of the week........nice story!:eek: :cool:

Jim Becker
10-23-2006, 10:06 PM
Umm...like...wow! Mr. Ellis "steps in it" BIG TIME! Nice, happy ending to your story, Robert. Congrats on the great buys!

Jim O'Dell
10-23-2006, 10:21 PM
Have you had a hard time wiping that stuff off your shoes??? :D Congrats on that once in a life time deal! Now get out there and clean that arn up! Jim.

Jerry Olexa
10-23-2006, 11:18 PM
Have you ever considered playing the lottery? Great haul..

Steve Roxberg
10-23-2006, 11:37 PM
Well, it's not April fist that was my first thought. The second thought was to look at your location and considered a raid, you live too far away.

Congrats, that is proably the best gloat I've ever heard.

Kristian Wild
10-24-2006, 12:00 AM
Wow that's awesome! Congratulations! You must have been racking up those karma points for some years now.

I've dreamt for years of a scenario like that... It's nice to know that some fairy tales are true.

Kris

John Bush
10-24-2006, 1:10 AM
Conrats-I've had daydreams like that with the addition of a '66 427 Vette that he wants to get rid of too. What a great haul!!JCB.

Norman Hitt
10-24-2006, 1:37 AM
As Gomer Pyle would say.........Goleeeeeee Sgt Carter, you won't believe whut all my Cuzin Robert Ellis bought the uther day fer jes PENNIES on tha dollar.:D

What a deal, what a deal, and all I want is just a "reasonable" price on 360' of 2.0 THHN/THWN cable. :rolleyes: :(

Boy you sure don't want to do anything for a while that requires LUCK, 'cause I think you used all yours up in one fell swoop.:D

John Renzetti
10-24-2006, 6:08 AM
That's a great story. Glad those tools are getting some good use again.
take care,
John

Lincoln Myers
10-24-2006, 8:17 AM
Great story, congratulations on the haul, I'm sure you'll put it all to good use.

-Linc

Kelly C. Hanna
10-24-2006, 8:28 AM
That has to be the deal of the CENTURY!!! Nice haul!

Chris Giles
10-24-2006, 8:42 AM
Hang on there, Tex. I believe you may have some phase convertin' to do yet, and that may run into some bucks. But even considering that, this has to be the deal of the decade!

Rob Russell
10-24-2006, 9:06 AM
Great luck!

I wouldn't be too quick to give away the big drill press. If you have room for it, think about keeping it.

Rob

ROBERT ELLIS
10-24-2006, 10:36 AM
Hang on there, Tex. I believe you may have some phase convertin' to do yet, and that may run into some bucks. But even considering that, this has to be the deal of the decade!
Chris, the Griz catalog has 3 phase converters (made in the USA) for under 200.00. I will probably go that route rather than buying new motors and switches. A friend in the local area had the same problem (stroke sander w/3 phase) and I think he had an electrician to build him one. My main worry right now is getting these things home (165 miles away), and then I can start thinking about the power, tweeking, painting and divieing out...

Robert

Larry Fox
10-24-2006, 11:37 AM
WOW!!!!! WOW!!! For me, this is the biggest score I have EVER heard of.

Congrats to you Robert - fantastic score.

Dan Connolly
10-24-2006, 12:00 PM
Sounds like a wonderful find----but I can't see where you say what you paid for it all so I really can't guess. ???????????????????

Dan<----confused

ROBERT ELLIS
10-24-2006, 12:57 PM
Sounds like a wonderful find----but I can't see where you say what you paid for it all so I really can't guess. ???????????????????

Dan<----confused
True, I didn't come right out with what I paid. Dan, I'll answer your question with a question. What would you or anyone else would have done. Would you have given him the amount he asked for, dicker on the price, or explain to him your a woodworker and these tools are worth a great deal more than what he wants for them. I'm like everyone else, I like a bargain. Believe it or not, and more often than not I usually try to get a feel of someones knowledge of what they're selling and I'll often tell them its worth more than what they're asking and windup telling them I can only afford so much and buy it for what I can offer. After reviewing several facts in this transaction such as, he didn't really want any of the tools in the first place (he only bought them because they were dirt cheap), he figured worst case scenario if he couldn't sell them he could probably get his money back selling them as scrap. The last fact being he was a farmer, with tractors, a large equipped shop of tools, and I summized he must of had some knowledge of what the tools were worth, so I made a conscentious decision he knew what he was doing, merely appearing to me he was only wanting to get his money back.

A couple of more facts. The auction according to my friend was only advertised once in the local paper. Their town was having a festival that day so knowone showed up but a handful (maybe 20). Apparently this town is totally devoid of any woodworkers. The large powermatic planer described by my friend would require 4 men to lift went for only 25.00. I didn't get to see it.

I give these details mostly because I still have feelings that someone was taking advantage of (even after all the justification I keep telling myself). So in my own little way of trying to ease some of this guilt I have decided to pass on some of the windfall to others...Does this make sense? As to the price - too embarrassed to reveal.

Robert

Larry Fox
10-24-2006, 2:45 PM
I give these details mostly because I still have feelings that someone was taking advantage of (even after all the justification I keep telling myself).

Robert, send me the Unisaw (or the bandsaw) and I will make a post of absolution to the forum and we will call it even. :D :D :D

Seriously, it doesn't sound like you twisted his arm, both sides seem happy with the deal they made so my advise would be to relax and enjoy the gloat of a lifetime.

It would be a different matter if you went in intending to take advantage of someone and use coersion or something but it seemed that you went in and made a deal in good faith and it just so happened to be to good result. He is happy - ha has the price he wanted for it. You are happy because you got some good gear at a great price.

Just my opinion though.

Norman Hitt
10-24-2006, 6:54 PM
True, I didn't come right out with what I paid. Dan,

I give these details mostly because I still have feelings that someone was taking advantage of (even after all the justification I keep telling myself). So in my own little way of trying to ease some of this guilt I have decided to pass on some of the windfall to others...Does this make sense? As to the price - too embarrassed to reveal.

Robert

Robert, I wouldn't worry about it at all, since from what you stated, it appears to me that the only one that came out on the short end of the stick, was the "School". If they were either too dumb to not put a MINIMUM on the items, OR were in such a hurry to shut down their woodworking program and derive the Kids the opportunity learn to participate in this wonderful activity, then Truly, the Kids were the only ones that got the short stick, and there is absolutely nothing you could have done to change that. Just enjoy your good fortune and put them back to work making lots of beautiful things so they don't go to waste.

ROBERT ELLIS
10-24-2006, 7:07 PM
Larry & Norman,

Thanks alot for your kind, and much appreciated advise. I certainly value fellow woodworkers opinions...

I would point out the school & kids fared very well. I believe they received a grant from the state and purchased all new shop tools and other things for the school. My guess is that some of these big iron tools no longer met today's modern safety standards so they decided to dump them for whatever they would bring. For me it was good to hear they continued on with teaching shop/woodworking skills.

Robert