PDA

View Full Version : NJ,TPK,Malls,sprawl,Chem plants, Nah.

Per Swenson
10-23-2006, 7:36 PM
Hey,

This is for y'all who have less then a ideal picture of
this overpopulated state and exurb of NYC.

Pretty much if you look at a map, everything to the left of 287 and
North of rt 80 looks like this. This is my playground.

These pictures where taken today, I didn't want to go build stuff.
This is the Charlottesburg reservoir.

A red tailed hawk over said rez.

OZ, 32 miles away as the hawk flys.

An me scairin the wildlife so you don't have too.

This place is only accessible by 4 wheel drive atv.

Which of course are illegal here. The trails are suppose to

be for the birkenstock wearin tofu eatin set.

They don't go here either. No cell phone service and no lattes.

Enjoy.

Per

John Shuk
10-23-2006, 7:48 PM
Per,
thanks for sharing the pics. I used to spend alot of working time down Port Elizabeth, Bayonne, And Jersey City. Looks like real nice spot compared to anywhere but especially those places.

Rob Bodenschatz
10-23-2006, 8:09 PM
Thanks Per. Awesome.

Jim Becker
10-23-2006, 8:18 PM
Beautiful spot, Per! Thanks for sharing. That pic of you on the rock outcrop with all those beautiful trees behind is great!

John Lucas
10-23-2006, 10:23 PM
gorgeous...a section of state that no one knows. Hows is Stokes these days.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-23-2006, 10:28 PM
Beautiful scenery Per............where's your Birkenstocks?

Jeffrey Makiel
10-23-2006, 10:31 PM
NJ has got some great positives that are often overlooked…
1. Close to NYC and Philadelphia;
2. Great parks/plenty of lakes
3. Large suburbs;
4. Shoreline

People often jest about the industrial appearance along the NJ Turnpike. Most folks see this as industrial blight. However, they need to understand that this was the home of thousands of good paying stable jobs that allowed regular folks like my parents to own beautiful homes in the comfortable suburbs and raise a family on only one income. However, that’s changed. Outsourcing and imbalanced trade has taken a hard toll on New Jersey’s dying industrial base.

-Jeff :)

Jerry Olexa
10-23-2006, 11:14 PM
Great pictures!! Sure changes the opinion most people have of NJ..I have some family there and my young nephew spends much time hiking, enjoying the outdoors, photography, etc. He too praises its unknown beauty. Thanks

Greg Narozniak
10-24-2006, 8:03 AM
However, that’s changed. Outsourcing and imbalanced trade has taken a hard toll on New Jersey’s dying industrial base. [/SIZE][/COLOR]

-Jeff :)

Very well said Jeff. As someone who grew up in Freehold, NJ and now lives in Hillsborough I know all to well what you mean!

Greg

Chuck Hanger
10-24-2006, 8:21 AM
into Newark many times in business I realized the area existed, but did not realize it was close enough to the "city" to see the slyline. Great photos Per.
Chuck

Bill Lewis
10-24-2006, 12:06 PM
Hey Chuck, Don't you have a brother named "Cliff" ? I think I saw him in the movies once.

Jeffrey Makiel
10-24-2006, 1:32 PM
Freehold, NJ was once considered the 'countryside' when I was growing up. Not any more. As per the local news, the residents of Freehold are experiencing some serious issues with illegal immigration and the folks who exploit them.

-Jeff

Greg Narozniak
10-24-2006, 1:55 PM
Freehold, NJ was once considered the 'countryside' when I was growing up. Not any more. As per the local news, the residents of Freehold are experiencing some serious issues with illegal immigration and the folks who exploit them.

-Jeff

Jeff,

You are correct, The "day laborers" used to have a certain area they would gather and then at some point the Mayor deceided that it was not attactive to the area so they took that away and now every street corner is occupied.

This is happening in Freehold Boro, I lived in Freehold Township which had no such problems. Best friend is a Sergent with the County Sheriffs office and it is amazing how things have changed as far as immagration and INS.

I was in court for a parking ticket I received and there were a handful of people that were in court for various things and were asked if they were here illegally and the answer from all was "yes" with nothing done about it, Amazing.

John Schreiber
10-24-2006, 2:31 PM
From the perspective of the Midwest plains, the East Coast looks crowded, claustrophobic and crazy. It's good to see that there is some peace and nature out there.

Dan McGuire
10-24-2006, 4:34 PM
Per,

Those are great pics. I used to live not too far from that area. Suffern N.Y for about a year than further north into new york, up by the Woodbury Mall. For all of the ubran sprawl that you would see on a map, I could not get over what beautiful countryside there was (is).

When I took a job in that area, moving from the midwest, I went to look at a poplulation map to get an idea of what the population would be outside of the city. I saw that it was still densly populated in the 'burbs and caused me to start second quessing my choice. Too late to turn back though, moved up there and didn't regret it for a minute. Still some of the best hunting and fishing I have ever experienced in my life. Once you get off the Garden State parking lot and head west, it is excellent. Same goes for NY outside of 287 and the Delaware Gap further west towards PA.

In fact I still have a skyline picture taken from the top of Bear Mountain on a clear day with WTC in all of its glory dominating the skyline, about 60 miles away if I remember correctly.

Dan

Per Swenson
10-24-2006, 6:54 PM
Okay,

A lttle perspective, the hill that my riding partner is facing

is the back side of the hill the rez shots were taken.

In other words, facing east. Here the valley below hides Green Pond road

which is at 650 feet above sea level. Those little rocks below are as large

as houses. We are standing at 1250 feet above sea level.

This is the protected area known as the NJ Highlands.

Its also suppose to be protected from the likes of me.

Per