PDA

View Full Version : Timing is everything....

Greg Koch
10-23-2006, 6:51 PM
My Dad had a small lathe when I was about 7 or 8. He had it mounted right in front of the only window in our garage for light, and had a set of chisels with dark mahogany handles in a blue lined case. I got to use it a few times, but never got hooked.

Since I've gotten back into woodworking, I've thought about that lathe off and on, but never got the bug serious enough to go out and buy one.

But...checking last night, I found this on Craig list, about 20 lines down from the top...

Jet Mini Lathe Model: JML-1014, like new - $150
Date: 2006-10-22, 6:11PM PDT

Jet Mini Lathe Model: JML-1014

Like new only use two times with extras. PSI Precision Pen Mandrel and Jet 13mm drill chuck.

Speeds (RMP): Six, 500-3975
Swing Over Bed (in.): 10
Swing Over Tool Rest Base (in.): 7-1/2
Working Distance Between Centers (in.): 14
Spindle Nose (in. x TPI): 1 x 8
Hole Through Spindle (in.): 3/8
Headstock Taper: MT-2
Tailstock Taper: MT-2
Hole Through Tailstock (in.): 3/8
Ram Travel (in.): 2
Motor 1/2HP, 1Ph, 115V
Heavy-duty cast iron lathe bed adds stability while limiting vibration during operation
Convenient adjustment handle tilts the motor while changing speeds
Solid rubber feet offer a firm base to eliminate movement during operation

I sent an e.mail immediately. The seller e.mailed back this morning...a guy is supposed to come tonight and buy it, but he would let me know if the guy doesn't show up. :( I could kick my rear! I'm still hoping...but not optimistic. Crap!:mad:

Scott Donley
10-23-2006, 8:04 PM
Greg, I saw that also, good deal. If it does not pan out for you and feel like a short trip down to Auburn, the Jet surplus store has them for only a few bucks more. That is where I bought my 1442, nice guys to deal with.

Greg Koch
10-23-2006, 9:21 PM
Thanks, Scott. You have a PM.

Scott Donley
10-23-2006, 9:30 PM
As you do :D

Greg Koch
10-24-2006, 4:08 AM
Talked to the seller...the guy came and happily picked up the lathe.:eek:

Oh well, thanks for the lead, Scott..and the conversaton last night/this morning:D :D I'll give the store a call and see what they have.

I am definetly keeping a closer watch on Craigslist, but it sure was a good deal. Might even see a post here from Tacoma soon!:eek: