PDA

View Full Version : Zebrawood and Dunnowood bowls

Don Fuss
10-23-2006, 6:35 PM
Finally had some time to play over the last few days so I did a couple of little bowls. The first one is just a shallow Zebrawood bowl. Nothing too challenging about it, but it's fun to do something basic every now and then.

The second one was a nightmare to turn. It's also my first natural edge. I salvaged it from a friend's wood pile last year and it had already been split. I think the wood may be pine, but I'm not sure. Whatever it is, it gave me a terrible time with tearout. Nothing some 80 grit didn't cure, but a pain all the same.

Thanks for looking!

Ted Calver
10-23-2006, 7:20 PM
Nice looking bowls. Did you use an oil finish?

Bernie Weishapl
10-23-2006, 8:44 PM
Those are a couple of fine looking bowls Don. What kind of finish did you use on them? Nice job.

Don Fuss
10-23-2006, 8:45 PM
Ted,

Thanks! I used walnut oil on the Zebrawood bowl and BLO on the other.

Corey Hallagan
10-23-2006, 9:17 PM
Nice Don. I particularly like that little Zebrawood bowl. One of the nicest pieces I have seen in Zebrawood.

Corey

Christopher K. Hartley
10-24-2006, 7:37 AM
Way to go Don! Great bowls. Both are unique and beautiful in their own way. That Pine or whatever is very interesting.:)

Mark Pruitt
10-24-2006, 12:10 PM
Don, great job on both! The NE is my favorite but I'm partial to NEs.:D I've snagged a few of those zebrawood blanks over at WC this month, haven't spun them yet. Glad to see that it can look so nicely when turned!

Mark

Mark Cothren
10-24-2006, 1:17 PM
Nice bowls, Don - the Zebrawood is definitely an eye-catcher!