PDA

View Full Version : Jet Sharpener tool review out.

Eddie Darby
10-23-2006, 3:43 PM
I ran across this review by Tom Hintz on the Jet Sharpener.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/jetwetshrpnerrvu.html

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/jettormekcomparo.html

Also Thank You Tom Hintz for your great reports! I enjoyed them a lot, and learnt a few things!

Jeffrey Makiel
10-23-2006, 6:35 PM
Wow! That's quite a website and quite a review!
-Jeff :)

Chris Barton
10-23-2006, 7:24 PM
Great reviews and some support to the idea that the Jet is a contender. I say this as an owner of a Tormek, in fact, I just bought the jointer knife jig for the Tormek because that's what the Jet still doesn't have available. I think the jet is going to provide new options for those wanting to get the most for their money.

CPeter James
10-24-2006, 9:36 AM
Two very good articles. I read both through and feel that you did a good job of evaluating the machines. I have the Makita that I use for jointer and planer knives, but have looked at the Tormek for chisels and plane blades. Now there is some real head to head competition, we may see improvements and price cuts. There are a couple of shows coming up and it will be interesting to see if there are any deals on these.

Thanks again.

CPeter

Brad Townsend
10-24-2006, 12:10 PM
No doubt the Tormek is a great system, but I'm sure there are many like me who have a hard time justifying the amount of money they want for one. While the Jet isn't cheap either, for $100 less, many more might take the plunge. Perhaps it is imitation, but as long as Jet isn't infringing on anyone's intellectual property, I say more power to them. If they can sell a comparable system for a hundred bucks less and still make a decent profit, It makes one wonder what kind of margins Tormek is getting.

Mike Coyne
10-24-2006, 1:00 PM
I'm relatively new to the Creek, having only posted once several months ago, but I just purchased the JET sharpener yesterday. I had been going back and forth between the JET and the Tormek for months. It seemed everyone had a lot to say about both. However the review by Tom Hintz pushed me over. It was as straight foreword a review as I have ever read. Anyone thinking of purchasing either of these machines would be selling themselves short by not reading it before making a decision. With the enclosed DVD, it took me a whole half hour before I was grinding edges on my chisels, gouges etc… I could literally shave with. And I was doing it in a fraction of the time I used to spend by hand with my water stones.

Eddie Darby
10-24-2006, 3:07 PM
I really like the straight no-nonsense approach that Tom Hintz shows in these two articles. Thanks!!!

I was amazed at the quality of the stone, and when my Tormek stone needs replacing, I will be considering replacing it with the Jet stone.

I also like the way the question of temperature was handled, and I would say that a little heat would be welcome in my shop during those long cold winter days.:D

I also got my answer to the question of how much weight/down force is too much weight in terms that could be easily understood.

Will the machine tip over? Yes in a 9.2 earthquake...along with the entire shop. :D

I have the old Tormek shaft that is just coated, and I see that the up-grade to stainless steel is not needed.

There just was a lot of very useful and helpful information! You couldn't ask for more in an article.

As an owner of 2 Tormeks I am happy with my purchase, knowing that the 2 different machines are very close in comparison. It will be very interesting to see what the future holds. I just hope that the Open Free Capatalistic Market isn't too much for Tormek, and that they can compete.

Chris Barton
10-24-2006, 5:07 PM
I just hope that the Open Free Capatalistic Market isn't too much for Tormek, and that they can compete.

I agee! But, either they will compete or... die.

Jeff Farris
10-24-2006, 5:29 PM
...I have the old Tormek shaft that is just coated, and I see that the up-grade to stainless steel is not needed.

That is right, as long as you are careful about cleaning the machine up after use. If you are, then you'll never have a problem. TORMEK felt that there were enough customers who neglected to dry their machine after use to justify the extra expense of going to all stainless shaft hardware. That was an expense that was absorbed, not passed on to the customer.

... I just hope that the Open Free Capatalistic Market isn't too much for Tormek, and that they can compete.

We have been competing against every conceivable kind of sharpening system all over the world for almost 30 years (15 on the N.A. market). We have no intention of fading away now.

Erik C. Hammarlund
10-24-2006, 6:25 PM
Everybody chant:

PRICE WAR!
PRICE WAR!
WE WANT A PRICE WAR!

heh. Just my self-interest talking again....