PDA

View Full Version : Always check setup; even on premium TSs

Rich Person
10-23-2006, 3:21 PM
I have been working with my new Sawstop TS for a while now, but having some issues with the cut quality. At first, I was having problems, because the Incra fence I installed was bowed. Incra replaced it with a strait one, but I was still having problems. This weekend, I finally had time to work with it. I put on a new auxiliary fence, which turned out to be <90 degrees to the table. So, I had to shim the mount between the Incra arm and the fence. I finally got the fence perpendicular to the table and aligned with the miter track. I put the fence right up to the blade, and guess what? When the front of the blade just touched the fence, the same teeth when rotated back, were >1mm away from the fence.

I had heard so many stories about how perfectly these saws came set up that I never checked the blade/top alignment. I took my digital caliper to and checked the distance between the miter track and saw tooth. Sure enough, it read +0.040 inches (about 1mm). So, I ended up adjusting the top and now everything is aligned just right.

Lesson of the day--don't assume anything.

If the alignment had been off in the other direction, I'd probably have a piece of 8/4 maple sticking through me (but for the riving knife).

Phil Thien
10-23-2006, 4:04 PM
At least when you're all done the alignment will stick forever.

In terms of it being off from the beginning, I think it is entirely possible that the top shifted during shipping. I'll bet they have a jig at the factory that can align the top to the fourth decimal place. But you can't account for the way stuff gets treated in shipping.

Enjoy that saw!

Alan DuBoff
10-23-2006, 4:13 PM
At least when you're all done the alignment will stick forever.I wouldn't count on that. The reason the alignment is adjustable is that, well, it adjusts.:p

Many things other than the moving of the alignment parts could effect the alignment, such as flatness of the tables, the weather, or similar. I think it's best to check and align a table saw as often as one can, it certainly can't hurt, but find that if I can do it once a year I will be able to keep it pretty much in alignment. In theory, knocking the saw hard could put it out of alignment.

At least speaking for myself, I will continue to check mine when I can, even if it seems that it's aligned properly. I trust a gauge better than my own judgement.:rolleyes:

glenn bradley
10-23-2006, 4:41 PM
Time well spent Rich. When a TS is setup well it is a joy to use.

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-23-2006, 5:29 PM
"Premium" is a concept that can vary substantially from person to person.

Some folks I know think Martin qualifies as premuim.
I suspect they are right.