PDA

View Full Version : Mobile planner stand

Peter Lyon
10-22-2003, 12:59 PM
I'd like to build a mobile stand for a new planner (DeWalt 735) that I purchased this past weekend. However, I'm concerned that if I use four wheels underneath it, that even when they are in the locked position, it won't be secure enough when pushing long lumber through it. Is this a valid concern or am I just over analyzing things?

I'd be very curious to know what other folks have done in this situation.

Thanks!

Dennis McDonaugh
10-22-2003, 2:24 PM
I'd like to build a mobile stand for a new planner (DeWalt 735) that I purchased this past weekend. However, I'm concerned that if I use four wheels underneath it, that even when they are in the locked position, it won't be secure enough when pushing long lumber through it. Is this a valid concern or am I just over analyzing things?

Thanks!

Peter, you shouldn't have a problem even with the wheels unlocked. You don't push the wood through the planer, the planer pulls the wood through the cutter head. I never lock the wheels of my 15" jet planer and don't have any problems.

Stan Thigpen
10-22-2003, 2:27 PM
A couple of years ago I built a stand for my 12" Ryobi planer. It has a 24" extended infeed and outfeed table and the planer support is adjustable to ensure that the infeed and outfeed supports line up with the planer. This stand has only two wheels with a large towing handle which also has two wheels. The towing handle hooks into a hitch and when it is pushed down, it raises one side of the stand enough to engage the wheels attached on the opposite side of the stand. It can then be towed about the shop. Thus when the stand is in use, no wheels are in contact with the floor and it is quite stable. I built the stand from plans purchased from Wood Online for a few $. It is a very good stand, but the long towing handle (abt. 5') makes it awkward navigating in my crowded shop.

Bob Lasley
10-22-2003, 5:37 PM
Peter,

I have my DW733 planer on a mobile stand with 4 locking casters and have no problems. I usually only lock two of the casters and it stays put.

Bob

Matt Meiser
10-22-2003, 5:59 PM
Stan, I'd be interested in seeing photos of your stand if possible. I've been thinking of building something to extend the infeed/outfeed tables on my Delta.

Jeff Hamilton
10-22-2003, 9:02 PM
Peter,
Here are some pics of my stand.It's made of mdf with a 2x4 frame inside
I used the frame inside to support the wheel assembly. 2 stationary casters and 2 swivel. The 2 swivel castors are mounted on a board with hinges to allow it to raise and lower the castors.The foot lever on the side of the stand has a cam lobe on the inside that pushes the castors down to allow movement. when kicked over the stand rests on metal feet.
Hope this helps
Jeff
p.s. this is my first time to post pics

Byron Trantham
10-23-2003, 6:15 AM
Peter, Dennis is right. Under most circumstances you don't need to push anything except to start the planing action. I have mine mounted on four swivel casters and I don't have a problem with movement.

John Christiansen
10-23-2003, 6:48 AM

Thanks!

Well here's mine. Simple to build if you weld, and couldn't be any easier to move around.

Daniel Rabinovitz
10-24-2003, 1:06 PM
Peter
All my equipment moves out of the garage to my driveway.
Hence, here is my planer/sander mobile bench
The planer is mounted on a sloping track and raises 8 inches from it's cave to it's working height (as you see it).
Daniel

Scott Coffelt
10-24-2003, 1:45 PM
How come you haven't painted that floor to match all of those jet tools and the Jet colored DE in the back??????

The DE sure sucks doesn't it. Nice cabinet.

Steve Clardy
10-24-2003, 4:11 PM
Now this looks like another up and coming Terry Hatfield shop, as soon as the floor get painted as suggested by Scott.
Have no suggestions for your planer stand. I have a 20" that I DO NOT move. :rolleyes:

Tyler Howell
10-24-2003, 6:21 PM
Peter
All my equipment moves out of the garage to my driveway.
Hence, here is my planer/sander mobile bench
The planer is mounted on a sloping track and raises 8 inches from it's cave to it's working height (as you see it).
Daniel
Dan,
Let's see some more pictures of your mobile wood shop. What else can it do?? ;) TJH

Ken Ventress
10-25-2003, 7:26 PM
you'll have no problems with the cart moving, especially if you use the double locking castors. My shop is very small(9'x10') so I built a stand to incorporate my planer, os sander and morticer and it doesn't budge a bit, no matter what tool I'm working with!
http://www.netexperts.cc/~lambertm/discus/messages/618/2083.jpg

Cheers, Ken