PDA

View Full Version : Compressed Air Gloat

John Renzetti
10-23-2006, 1:18 PM
Hi , I'm waiting for my son to get home so he can help me take this thing off the truck( a 1990 GMC w/ 200k miles). It's a 5hp Quincy 4 cylinder. The intake filter has been ASHREA, BIA and Bill Pentz approved...wait... wrong thread. Saw it at the IWF in August. It should be able to handle any spraying, air tools or other compressed air needs.
take care,
John

Doug Shepard
10-23-2006, 1:23 PM
... The intake filter has been ASHREA, BIA and Bill Pentz approved...wait... wrong thread....
John

HAWHAW - bout blew my ASHREA approved coffee out my nose.
Seriously - the oil vs oil-less compressor threads are only slightly less volatile if you're looking to promote a blowup.
Looks like you'll be all set to put out lots of hot air with that beastie.:D

Mike Spanbauer
10-23-2006, 1:34 PM
what a compressor. very nice and certainly droolworthy!

What kind of output can that Quincy achieve? I've not looked that closely at any 4 Cyl models before.

mike

John Renzetti
10-23-2006, 1:41 PM
what a compressor. very nice and certainly droolworthy!

What kind of output can that Quincy achieve? I've not looked that closely at any 4 Cyl models before.

mike

Hi Mike, The literature says 18cfm @ 90psi. That's about double what my present 3hp compressor puts out. I was able to get it from a local dealer for the same price as some internet companies were offering it for. This is the QTSV-45E. E is for economy. Motor turns at 3600rpm. I didn't want to spend the extra money for the 1800rpm version nor a two stage compressor. This is probably overkill for my needs anyway.

Doug, I didn't know that there were oil vs oilless debates here. Missed that. I can see Ken ready to pounce. :)
take care,
John

Byron Trantham
10-23-2006, 1:49 PM
Gee, witll handle air brushing?:D

Jim Becker
10-23-2006, 1:55 PM
Very nice, John! Quincy is premo.

But I suspect you bought it for the color... LOL!

Rob Russell
10-23-2006, 2:20 PM
Very nice, John! Quincy is premo.

But I suspect you bought it for the color... LOL!

Darn tootin' - Felder Blue!

glenn bradley
10-23-2006, 2:26 PM
Very cool John; blue heaven.

Alan DuBoff
10-23-2006, 3:11 PM
That's a beaut!

Norman Hitt
10-23-2006, 3:21 PM
Very Nice, John. The old slow turning Quincy's have always been my favorites. Let us know how the noise level is with that machine.

john whittaker
1991 GMC with 200k ???....Nice Gloat. Hey, that purdy blue compressor looks nice too. Good luck getting it unloaded safely.

Matt Meiser
Very cool! Makes my IR look like a toy.

Jim Becker
10-23-2006, 4:45 PM
Makes my IR look like a toy.

Even the Quincy is a "toy" in some respects...LOL! Amazing what replaces GI-Joe, Erector Sets and stuffed animals as you get, umm...more mature. ;)

Matt Meiser
10-23-2006, 4:52 PM
Yeah, I was just meeting with a customer today about a new project. Their plastic bottle making plant is going to have 2 1500HP compressors, 2 1000HP compressors and some other "small" ones. :eek:

lou sansone
10-23-2006, 5:52 PM
hi john
congrats on the nice addition to the shop. they are great machines from all that I have read. best wishes
lou

Bill Pentz
10-23-2006, 6:12 PM
... The intake filter has been ASHREA, BIA and Bill Pentz approved...wait... wrong thread.

Alright guy! Blow guns at 10 paces hooked up to our compressors. Warn you mine is a two-stage IR 80 gallon monster that almost did in my son, his friend and I getting it off the truck and into my shop.

A few suggestions: I installed a pull drain with a cable in the bottom of mine so is easy to drain down. I bought that drain at a local air compressor store, plus a set of rubber cork pad feet. Those pads I mounted under the compressor feet to make all quieter. I also mounted the unit onto the pads which sit on PT 4x4s on the floor to make draining a little easier. While at the air compressor store also picked up a swivel end for my hose, an extra 100' of hose to match the 50' that came with it. Add my existing hose and I can pretty much reach anywhere on my third acre. I went a little crazy with a set of Binks HVLP touch up and spray guns, 2.5 gallon pressurized paint pot, plus bought a few goofy things from Harbor Freight with quite a few of their tools by the pound air tools, cutters, grinders, and even air powered tin snips. One of my favorites from HF is a blower nozzle that has a roughly 2' long extension on the nozzle letting me get to tight places and clean all over without having to bend over or climb a stool.

Anyhow, enjoy as I am sure you will find many things that unit will help with.

bill

Alan Turner
10-23-2006, 6:14 PM
Nice score. Is that a screw type, or a piston type? I don't know a lot about compressors, but have heard that the screw type are wonderful. We have a big piston type, and noise is a bit of an issue.

Al Willits
10-23-2006, 6:24 PM
Couple more tips, I normally take the inlet air from outside and use a (what looks like) big garden tractor air filter, does a couple of things, keeps the noise down and pressurizes the shop, so if your spraying the overspray and flumes are pushed outside somewhat.
Might depend on how close your neighbors are though.

I also used a 3' section of high pressure flex line to hook the compressor to the main line, seemed to quiet it down somewhat and it has quick disconect couplings so I can move my compressor if need be.

Becareful taking that little guy off the truck, I bet it'd hurt to drop that on your toe...:eek:

Have fun..

Al

JIm McMullen
10-23-2006, 9:41 PM
Hi John,
I bought a Quincy QTS-2 thirteen years ago. Have changed oil and drained the tank after each use. I haven't had one problem. It's a very quiet efficient compressor. Mine is a 20 gal tank and is horizontally mounted with wheels. I use it mainly for nail guns but bought a prtable tank to fill tires, etc. You will really appreciate the quality, I think. BTW: at that time they recommended Quin-Cip oil (made at that time by Quincy) but I have used other high quality brands over the years. PS mine is blue, also.

Correction--Sounds like I drain oil after each use--only drain the tank--changing oil could get VERY costyly

martyphee
10-23-2006, 11:05 PM
Nice. I have the same compressor, but 2 stage. Got mine from HF dirt cheap with free shipping. They don't sell Quincy's anymore though. Relatively quite compressor. See if you can make/buy a muffler for it. Will make a big difference in the noise.

Made on the other side of IL from me in Qunicy, IL.

Joe Jensen
10-24-2006, 12:17 AM
Hi , I'm waiting for my son to get home so he can help me take this thing off the truck( a 1990 GMC w/ 200k miles). It's a 5hp Quincy 4 cylinder. The intake filter has been ASHREA, BIA and Bill Pentz approved...wait... wrong thread. Saw it at the IWF in August. It should be able to handle any spraying, air tools or other compressed air needs.
take care,
John

Quincy is the real deal. Lots of air and really quiet. Great choice...joe

John Renzetti
10-24-2006, 5:56 AM
Nice score. Is that a screw type, or a piston type? I don't know a lot about compressors, but have heard that the screw type are wonderful. We have a big piston type, and noise is a bit of an issue.

This is a piston type. A rotary screw compressor, like the Kaiser, is way out of my price range.
Thanks for all the tips on the draining and oil change. Got the thing off the truck yesterday afternoon, with the help of my 14 yr old son and my wife. Now to get it off the pallet and into position.
My old 1990 GMC 4x4 truck was mentioned. That is probably a stealth gloat. I bought it in January 1990 so it will be 17yrs old soon. Had to put a new transmission in at 125k, but the surprisingly strong V-6 vortex engine is still going at 200k. Don't use it much except for hauling things.
take care,
John

Tyler Howell
10-24-2006, 9:16 AM
Nice haul. Lot-sa Beef!!