PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments...

Dennis Peacock
10-23-2006, 10:28 AM
Good Morning Everyone,

Spent sometime on Friday helping Joe Meazle frame up, side, and roof an addition to his shop. Mark Cothren, Joe Meazle and I had a good time Friday and my son Joseph went and helped and did pretty good (he's 11).

Friday night I was able to put the finishing touches on the Youth Ranch cabinets and I now have them ready for delivery.

Saturday was spent in the shop with Zahid Naqvi with him teaching me the differences in handsaws, handplanes, testing out a wooden plane or two that Zahid and I have made and I now have a decent feeling wooden handplane, and also he spent some time working with me on repeat hand sharpening techniques. It was an excellent time we had and I learned a lot. Thanks again Zahid.!!!!

Saturday evening was spent with out church group. They all came over, we cooked out, sat around a small bonfire and relaxed and had fun.
Sunday was church day and I didn't have to play this past Sunday, so it was only one service to attend which meant more couch time Sunday than normal and then out to the shop to piddle some.

Prior to Friday, I took the family camping up on Petit Jean Mountain. Just check here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=44668) for pic proof of the vacation time.

I start a new work schedule this week, I go to working four 10 hour days and that means a 3 day weekend every weekend. Now maybe I can keep it under 50 hours a week and I'll be really happy.

So what did YOU do?

Best of weeks to you all.

Dan Gill
10-23-2006, 10:34 AM
I did very little in the shop, but my cousin and I did get to go up to his property (near the thriving metropolis of Bowie, TX). We put corn in the feeders and made varmint guards for them. Really, it was just an excuse to get out in the woods on a beautiful day.

Dennis, I've been to Petit Jean, and it's a gorgeous place. I want to do a camping trip there some day.

Jim Hager
10-23-2006, 10:48 AM
My son came home from Farmington for a long weekend on Thursday night. We had a real good time visiting and also worked in the shop together some Friday night and most of the day Saturday. We finished up an entertainment center that I've been working on for some time. Now that I've got this out of my shop it is on to making doors again.

Petit Jean is one of my favorite places to go camping. When I'm down there next I'm gonna give you a holler.

Did you guys swim this weekend. You must be polar bears or something, sure wasn't swimming weather here this weekend.http://img.clubphoto.com/jerboa/180670918/512/null/image.jpg

Dennis Peacock
10-23-2006, 11:16 AM
Dan and Jim,

Boff-ya'll holler at me when you are going to be up on Petit Jean. Dan, you'll pass within 5.2 miles of my house on your way to PJSP. Just let me know and I'll come up there and invade your camp. :rolleyes: :D

Al Willits
10-23-2006, 11:43 AM
Well, considering the temps were in the 40's this weekend, no bon fires for us, but it did turn out to be one of them great weekends when all goes well and you can see progress...

Got the storage shed cleaned out, and threw enough stuff away that all the wife's gardening stuff is now in the shed instead of the garage.
Got the BS extension on and a new blade, it cuts much better now...:)
Also finally got the DC hooked up to the TS and it sure is nice not cutting in a haze of saw dust..
Also did some more cleaning and can actually stand in the middle of the garage now and see floor, also got the bottom cabinet done to the router table, fixxed the small garage door and went to Lowes where I got a couple of Freud blades and 12" Columbian clamps (4) at half off of the reduced price, hard to turn down $15 10" 60 tooth Avanti blades.

While at Lowes, Beasty changed her mind once agian and we are now going with granite 12" tiles for the counter top....this week anyway,
then took the wife out to eat, to end an enjoyable day.

All in all, a very nice weekend.
Hope everybody else had a nice one too.

Al

Matt Meiser
10-23-2006, 11:47 AM
Spent most of the weekend camping, our third weekend of three weekends in a row at a campground in Indiana. Sunday afternoon a couple people came over to pick things up from me so my shop is a little more cleaned out and ready to be rearranged.

Jim Becker
10-23-2006, 12:03 PM
Saturday was the usually running around for dance class, karate class, etc. I didn't really do much else. Sunday, I was outside for most of the day, playing on the big orange power tool and doing some things in preparation for a future home addition. (Moving shrubbery, trenching around a dogwood tree that will be moved once it goes dormant, removing a small rock wall to preserve the stones for future use, etc) I also took delivery on some cherry (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=44683) when Michael Morgan stopped by on his "lumber run"...

Neil Lamens
10-23-2006, 12:31 PM
Howdy-

Had a nice weekend, spent Friday and Sunday helping god-daughter install her new kitchen cabinets......she's happy, not done yet but enough for the granite guys to measure. Her finance' so show me some good traits!!

Spent saturday fine fitting my joinery on my contribution to the St Judes Childrens Hospital auction done through Wood Magazine. Some of you are probably doing the same thing.........Jeez, it getting late, hope it's there by Nov 1st. Of course taking me long than I thought.

Saturday night was a going away party for one of the crew members I've sailed with for 6 years.........good man; he's off to Tucson.....how's he ever gonna get a sail in there????

Basically..........fun and productive!!!

Larry Fox
10-23-2006, 12:48 PM
More cabinet boxes this weekend - working on the last one now and hope to be finishing by this weekend or next. Yahoo. Still a little steamed about not being able to partake of Michael Morgan's "lumber run" out this way but it was just not in the cards this time . Glad to hear that others got in on it though. Congrats, it looks like nice stuff.

Jon Shively
10-23-2006, 1:11 PM
Matt, where were you camping in Indiana?

Art Mulder
10-23-2006, 1:18 PM
Well...
I finished and installed some Shelves (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=44625) in my sons' room.

I also spent some time tweaking an old workbench/table in the shop, to return the table top to flat. It had a melamine/coated MDF top wrapped in oak, and I used a flush-trimming router bit on edge to bring the oak down flush with the top. I've been meaning to do that for years!

My Father gave me an older Makita 3601 D-handled router a while back, and I've been pondering putting it into a router table full time. Just something quick and simple. Still haven't made up my mind. On the one hand, the 3601 isn't my choice of a router for a table -- the motor won't come out of the base, due to the wiring going through the D-handle. So I'd always have to leave it in there for bit changes. On the other hand, free is free, so I may just pick up a Lee Valley Base plate/Table insert (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=41776&cat=1,43000,51208&ap=1) and run with it for a while to see how it performs.

Otherwise, my shop needs rearranging soon, and maybe some more storage/mobile-base building, so there was lots of head scratching and daydreaming going on. :p

So then on Sunday afternoon I closed down the shop and went into the kitchen and made a big batch of peanut butter cookies. Way to score points with the LOML.

best,
...art

Mike Spanbauer
10-23-2006, 1:40 PM
First, thanks to all who start these... I like reading about how everyone relaxed and enjoyed life :) Helps to relieve some stress before digging into a stressful dayjob.

I spent this weekend doing a variety of projects and cleanup. Installed about 20 of those wall-mounted bins for organized storage as I had WAY too many boxes of screws stacked on the DP and Mortiser tables. Lowes has them for about $5.50 for 8 and the rails. Reduced some of the demolition pile from last weekends exterior door move (24" down the wall). 2 x 90 gallon toters isn't enough some weeks for my trash. Mowed, reduced the sprinkler frequency, and overseeded some areas that were a bit bare in the grass dept... like my hair I think... too bad they don't make a hair overseeding product :P

Overall, a good weekend. OH, got the pumpkins chosen w/ the little ones also so we're ready to make a seedy mess next weekend.

mike

Earl Reid
10-23-2006, 1:58 PM
Our weekend was 10 days long, We went to Cincinnati for a wedding and spent several days in the Louisville and Lexington area. We ended up at a "4 Ladds" dinner party last Sat. I did meet a gentleman that was a former woodworker. The subject of safty came up and I mentioned the Saw stop, he said he had heard about iy. Then he showed me his hands, He had lost 2 fingers on each hand on a tablesaw and had a nasty gash when his hand fell on a table saw blade. These all happend many years ago , several differnt accidents in a comercial shop.

Earl

Chip Olson
10-23-2006, 2:40 PM
Saturday morning I bought the nice maple-faced plywood for the cabinet door panels. Had a moment of panic at the store when I realized I'd forgotten my cut sheet, but fortunately remembered the width I needed it ripped to (a 4x8 won't fit in my car, so I plan my cuts around that). Finished the shelf holes on the uppers, and then made a template and drilled slightly larger holes in the base cabinets, for height-adjustable pull-outs. These holes will get threaded brass inserts, and the slides will be mounted on 1/2" BB plywood strips, which will be screwed into the inserts with pan-head machine screws so they can be easily relocated.

LOML and kidlet and I went to a friend's birthday party Saturday. She's a violinist who plays in a band as well as in a local symphony orchestra, and her husband plays pretty much every wind instrument known to man, so there was a lot of music and singing going on. Kidlet (21 months) was enthralled.

Tyler Howell
10-23-2006, 2:58 PM
Cleaning, shuffling moving painting and packing.
Nice time with my daughter.:cool:

Yard and gutters checked of the list.
TJH

Keith Outten
10-23-2006, 3:32 PM
Saturday I made a round trip to Kittly Hawk North Carolina to a ShopBot Camp. I left Gloucester County about 5am and got back home at 7:30 pm.

A ShopBot Camp is basically a gathering of people who own ShopBot CNC routers. The events are normally locally sponsored however it is common for someone at ShopBot to take part in Camps to answer questions and provide the latest information from the company.

The day was fast-paced but a great time. Our own Ed Lang was there, Ed did a comprehensive show and tell that was enjoyable and informative. Several others had presentations that covered vacumn fixtures, commercial signage, making master molds, etc. The Camp was excellent and I enjoyed the company of some really nice ShopBotters.

Sunday was a day of rest.

Scott Coffelt
10-23-2006, 3:39 PM
Worked my tail off on the master bath remodel. I have a little over a week left until my self impossed deadline. Got all the walls painted, rough in plumbing complete for the shower, took way too long to get this done this weekend. Some copper fitting not doing what i wanted and a couple of bone-head moves, everything got sealed up fine. Installed dura-rock on the shower walls and taped/plastered the seams. Built, painted and installed mirrors. Installed new lights, finished plumbing the sinks. Had new granite counters installed last week with new sinks.

My list to finish is slowly shrinking with two major things left, installing slate tile on the walls of the shower and around the Jacuzzi tub, and installing a new shower door. After that I have a few minor tasks like applying a finish coat of paint on the trim and installing shower accessories and faucet trim. The finish line is near. I will post pics once completed.

Can't wait till done, as I need a weekend and some evenings off. Too many long days over the last several weeks.

Cody Colston
10-23-2006, 6:06 PM
Went to the high school homecoming football game Friday night...we won 47-14. :)

Saturday, I Built a rolling sheet-goods storage cart and a couple of jigs for the tablesaw. I also sweated through the Texas vs Nebraska game. :eek:

Sunday was church and my first time teaching an adult SS class...very rewarding. We had our usual family dinner (noon meal) out after church and then a nap after I got home. Great day.

Calvin Hobbs
10-23-2006, 6:10 PM
Cody,

I am also starting to teach a SS class, Sunday was my 3rd time, what did you teach on? We studied Galatians 5, a great passage.

My weekend was good, my wife went to KC with her Mom and sister, so the kids and I were on our on with the puppy.

Saturday was two soccer games and movie, Sunday was church, a picnic, and a little sports on the tv after my wife came home.

Maybe I'll get in some woodworking this week at nights.....

Cal

Jack Dickey
10-24-2006, 9:30 PM
Thursday and Friday were spent helping LOML fix up some furniture and other stuff that she sells thru a flea market , Saturday rain , more of the same , moved three pickup and trailer loads of boxes from the barn to the burn pile , getting ready for the church teens to come up for a bonfire in November .. They would rather come to " Miss Faye's " than anywhere else , we got five acres for 'em to unwind , and we love 'em like they was ours , Thank God they aint .. Sunday church day , we had Pastor Appreciation Sunday , afternoon nap .. Monday , more of same as Thursday , Friday and Saturday ..