PDA

View Full Version : MM S45 vs. MM16

Jack Dickey
10-23-2006, 9:00 AM
I dont really need the 16" resaw capability of the 16" .. Other than the motor , resaw capacity and blade widths , and a small difference in the table size , seems on the surface to be pretty much the same saw ..
I realize the HP in some instances isnt all it appears to be .. The pricing is $500 more for the 16" , and isnt really an issue with me .. Leaning towards the 16" ..
Comments on either one ?? I see several here have the 16 ..
Lusting over the sliding table saws as well ..

Jim Becker
10-23-2006, 9:38 AM
I could be mistaken, but I think that the S45 is actually made by MM/SCM and the rest of the MM USA bandsaw line is made by Centauro...in other words, they are very different saws. The MM16 is a much heavier machine with more horsepower. While you may not need the added resaw height, it sure does "improve the view". They sell a LOT of the MM16 saws. But if the cost difference is important to you, the S45 is a very nice machine.

Oh, on this class machine, you have a lot less to worry about relative to motor horsepower specifications... ;) And that applies to the other first-tier companies with machines in this space.

Joe Mioux
10-23-2006, 11:26 AM
I went through this say scenario back in January.

The two saws have different features that make them both desirable.

S45, has a larger table, larger wheels, 2 inch more throat, adjustable aluminum fence, integrated mobility (hopefully this is better than the Johnson bar setup on the MM16), fit and finish is really good, 2.5 hp motor which should be sufficient for almost any wood species resawing.

MM16 has bigger motor and the foot brake. That foot brake is really really nice. heavier cast iron wheels.

Overall, I can't see anyone being disappointed in either saw. I chose the MM16 and am very happy with it.

HTH:
Joe

Mike Spanbauer
10-23-2006, 1:24 PM
I own the MM16 and love it. Some items that drove me to consider it over others:

Weight: When I throw a big piece of lumber up on the table to resaw, I'd prefer my saw doesn't flex.
Foot Brake: I almost exclusively turn off my saw w/ this as it is one of the three locations for the internal safety switches. Plus I just prefer to have the blade stop a little more quickly than it does otherwise.

Other than that, there are general company comments I considered which are the same for both saws (and the E16 which is somewhere also... might want to call them and chat about that saw).

As noted, the HP on all of these units is more than adequate and I've NEVER drawn above 13amps on my unit during cutting operations (I've checked in a few instances) and that was while resawing 13" wide hard maple.

Good luck and an early congrats on your choice, you can't go wrong with either one.

mike

Jack Dickey
10-23-2006, 1:31 PM
Thanks for the quick replies .. I lean towards the 16 for the weight more than anything else .. The price difference isnt an issue .. I prefer to have a bit more tool than needed , seems to pay off down the road ..
I had a good feeling that either one is a good choice .. Probably a few months down the road , but when I get ready for it , I like to already have a grip on what I want ..
A member from Canada sent me a PM and said he just ordered the 16 and has an 8 week delivery window ..

Thanks
Jack