PDA

View Full Version : Decking around this weekend

Kelly C. Hanna
10-22-2006, 11:38 PM
I found a use for a bunch of decking that I removed from client's decks....I've added on AGAIN!

The framing was bought new and the decking was reclaimed lumber.

The new Micro ACQ was used....a lot lighter wood [much less copper] and it was as easy to use as the green stuff....more on that later...probably tomorrow.

http://www.hannawoodworks.com/Decks38.html

Corey Hallagan
10-23-2006, 12:13 AM
Nice work Kelly. It looks great, your trying to get rid of all the mowing... I am too :) You need another cooker/smoker!

Corey

Norman Hitt
10-23-2006, 3:12 AM
Looking GOOD, Kelly. I've been intending to ask for a while, what method you use mostly or all the time to fasten the decking to the framing on the decks you build? Do you screw or nail through the decking to the framing, or do you use one of the under decking fastening systems?

I have been interested in the fastening system that is fitted into biscuit slots, except for the fact that the fastening fixtures are made from some sort of plastic, and I'm just not sure how they would hold up in the long haul and also they seem rather expensive for what they are.

About 18 years ago I built a deck type walkway between the house and brick fence for my MIL and used the Aluminum nails through the decking, (which I personally really never liked), but it has held up exceptionally well. Those Aluminum nails were a real PITA to install though, and most of them required predrilling since the treated 2" decking seemed harder than the nails.:rolleyes:

Tim Burke
10-23-2006, 6:44 AM
Looks good, reminds me that we need to expand our deck for the same use you did - need more cooking area! We're up to 3 grills, plus storage for accessories.

If that's a recent picture, I also like that you still have leaves and plants. Ours are pretty much in winter mode.:(

Tim

Tyler Howell
10-23-2006, 8:19 AM
Another fine one Kelly:cool:

Kelly C. Hanna
10-23-2006, 8:31 AM
So you figured me out Corey!! I hate mowing!! :D:D I am going to get two more smokers before the big winter BBQ this year...the gas smoker will go away soon to be replaced by a barrel smoker with and offset firebox and another tower smoker.

Norman, on treated decks I use one galvanized ring shank nail in the center of each board, then flank it with two 3" stainless screws. On Redwood, Cedar, Ipe, etc....only the two screws.

I've never used the aluminum nails or biscuit slot systems. I have offered the biscuit, but no one wants to pay extra for them. I am mostly hired by first and second time homeowners, so their budgets are rarely unlimited.

Neil Lamens
10-23-2006, 8:47 AM
.........but I don't see any smoke.

I make a nice "slaw" for western carolina barbeque. How many can you invite??

Can I help on the Bar section????

Jim Becker
10-23-2006, 9:43 AM
So with nothing else to do... :) ...he builds his own boardwalk attraction, complete with the world's best barbecue! LOL! (Nice job, Kelly...and a great use of reclaimed material)

Norman Hitt
10-23-2006, 3:42 PM
So you figured me out Coery!! I hate mowing!! :D:D I am going to get two more smokers before the big winter BBQ this year...the gas smoker will go away soon to be replaced by a barrel smoker with and offset firebox and another tower smoker.

Norman, on treated decks I use one galvanized ring shank nail in the center of each board, then flank it with two 3" stainless screws. On Redwood, Cedar, Ipe, etc....only the two screws.

I've never used the aluminum nails or biscuit slot systems. I have offered the biscuit, but no one wants to pay extra for them. I am mostly hired by first and second time homeowners, so their budgets are rarely unlimited.

Thanks for the info, Kelly. As to the Aluminum nails, take my advice and DON'T, (too labor intensive to be profitable). I wish someone would use those biscuit thingy's so we could find out if they really hold up, since it would give a nail/screw free top surface which would be real nice on some of the more expensive types of decking materials.

I'm still going to try to get over by your place one of these days when we visit our daughters in Highland Village.

Jim Becker
10-23-2006, 4:22 PM
Norm, I've seen EBTY on several decks and the results were great. (Both were Ipe and no way did they want all the fasteners to show. The few near the perimeter were countersunk and plugged...

Norman Hitt
10-24-2006, 3:07 AM
Norm, I've seen EBTY on several decks and the results were great. (Both were Ipe and no way did they want all the fasteners to show. The few near the perimeter were countersunk and plugged...

Jim, do you know if those have been in place very long? The only thing that really concerns me about them is how the weather here and ultraviolet will affect them, and whether they will endure that or just last a few short years and then suddenly self destruct like so many of the plastic items do. Maybe they haven't been out long enough yet to really get an answer to that though. I don't personally have anything in the plan to build a deck anytime soon, but I have a friend that is contemplating building one, and he thinks I am an encyclopedia and the final say in any WW question he has, and I really hate to steer him in the wrong direction. (Gotta keep my "Reputation" up, you know).:D

John Renzetti
10-24-2006, 6:02 AM
hi Kelly, Great job on the decks. After looking at all the smokers are you in the smoked meat business also.
Quick question. I''ve heard that the new pressure treated decking will quickly corrode some types of galvanized fasteners. Have you changed the type you use for this stuff.
take care,
John

Kelly C. Hanna
10-24-2006, 7:47 AM
You bet Neil...c'mon down, we have a big BBQ around Thanksgiving planned...the slaw sounds good. The smoke flew later that nite....Pork Tenderloin in the big smoker....:D

Norman, I have seen the ebty's at work and they are pretty cool [saw them on several Ipe decks and one composite deck], but they are VERY expensive. You can get pre-grooved Ipe from your dealer if you live in a big city, but again, VERY expensive. Let me know next time you are close and we'll plan something.

John...in 1/2003 we all had to switch over to anything HOT DIPPED galvanized for the PT stuff. I have personally seen non ACQ approved nails in a deck recebtly that was built in early 2005. I replaced the decking with a T&G pine floor. The nails were very tiny and very rusty...needless to say the deck was easy to pull up...:D As far as screws go, I use zinc coated SS square-drives.