PDA

View Full Version : Ellsworth Grind Help

Dan Faux
10-22-2006, 11:17 PM
Hi All

I have completely ruined my Ellsworth Grind bowl gouge and really need some help getting it back to normal again. I usually just set up using the original grind but now that this is lost I have no reference point. If you want to know how it was ruined, I stuck it to hard into a piece of wood that in Western Australia we call "Jam" because it actually smells like Raspberry Jam (jello in your part of the world) and it really is hard. The piece is a fence post that has been in the ground for about 90 years.

Any advice welcome

Thanks Sorry to waste your time I should have "searched" before posting.....Even after the search I still can't find the exact angle to start grinding..

Bill Boehme
10-23-2006, 12:50 AM
Even if you grind the tool freehand, this is the profile that you need -- of course the Ellsworth jig makes it easier: Ellsworth Grind (http://www2.woodcraft.com/pdf/77B61.pdf)

Bill

Dennis Peacock
10-23-2006, 12:58 AM
Dan,

First of all Welcome to SMC!!!!

Are you using a jig of sorts for your grinding/sharpening on your turning tools or are you freehanding them?

Bill Boehme
10-23-2006, 1:06 AM
Dan, Welcome. I failed to recognize that you were new here. Myself, I'm an old hand -- been here goin' on two months now. Stick with me kid and I'll show you the ropes.

Bill

Dan Faux
10-23-2006, 1:29 AM
Hey Bill/Dennis

Not quite new, been lurking and reading for about 18 months

Thanks for the link Bill it shows the correct start angles which is what was most important for me.

The jig I use is a home made version of the one in the link but I also have a tru-cut which seems to be very similar to the vari-grind. I use a version of the wolverine for most other gouges with some degree of success but I must admit that sharpening is by far the most dificult for me. I keep on trying and one day I'll get there.
Dan

Dennis Peacock
10-23-2006, 10:48 AM
The jig I use is a home made version of the one in the link but I also have a tru-cut which seems to be very similar to the vari-grind. I use a version of the wolverine for most other gouges with some degree of success but I must admit that sharpening is by far the most dificult for me. I keep on trying and one day I'll get there.
Dan

Dan,

Sharpening consistancy is the key to successful and enjoyable woodturning as well as extended life of your turning tools...DAMHIKT!!!!:o
Early on, I was trying to freehand sharpen my tools and was just making them shorter and shorter and I kept being more and more frustrated. A wolverine type setup was given to me (thanks Jim Ketron) and I've been using it and my Tormek ever since.

I hope I haven't confused you even more or told ya things you already know, just trying to help is all. :D

Pete Jordan
10-23-2006, 11:48 AM
Hey Bill/Dennis

Not quite new, been lurking and reading for about 18 months

Thanks for the link Bill it shows the correct start angles which is what was most important for me.

Dan
What link?

Jim Becker
10-23-2006, 12:08 PM
Pete, it's in Bill's post at the end of the sentence...the blue words... ;)

Reed Gray
10-23-2006, 12:14 PM
I have my grinder set up so that my Ellsworth jig works on both the rough wheel, and the fine wheel. It seems that after 50 or so sharpenings, the shape isn't the same, and needs to be reshaped. Take it over to the rough side and reshape, then back to the fine side for touchups.
robo hippy

Dan Faux
10-23-2006, 12:16 PM
Hi Pete

In Bill Boehme's first post there is a link at "Ellsworth Grind" that shows plans and info.

I used this info this afternoon and got my grind back to where it should be. I even turned a nice bowl using the three gouges that I had reground and it was sweet...

Thanks to Bill and Dennis for the help.

Dan

Dan Faux
10-23-2006, 12:23 PM
Hi Dennis

As I said I keep on trying, I seem to have the most trouble with spindle gouges, I had a friend set them all up perfectly, but after I have had a few tries they end up with to much of a point and i can't seem to work out where I go wrong.. All I do is set them at the same angle ..who knows..

Just wondering if any of you guys use the ellsworth gring on your spindle gouges..

Pete Jordan
10-23-2006, 12:46 PM
Pete, it's in Bill's post at the end of the sentence...the blue words... ;)
Thanks Jim:p

I looked three times at the wrong post!

Bill Boehme
10-23-2006, 12:47 PM
Hi Dennis

As I said I keep on trying, I seem to have the most trouble with spindle gouges, I had a friend set them all up perfectly, but after I have had a few tries they end up with to much of a point and i can't seem to work out where I go wrong.. All I do is set them at the same angle ..who knows..

An important point to remember on using any sharpening jig is that THE JIG SETS THE ANGLE & YOU CONTROL THE PROFILE. If you spend too much time grinding on the wings, you will wind up with a profile that has a very pointed nose and very long wings. I would suggest first grinding the nose profile to what you want and then finish up by taking a few light passes back along the wings. Make certain that the curvature is smooth across the nose and results in the desired profile. If the gouge is badly misshapen, it may require a lot of metal be removed at the nose to get the overall shape back to what you want.

Bill