PDA

View Full Version : Blanket chest finished and delivered

Mike K
10-22-2006, 9:04 PM
Hello All,

A couple weeks ago I posted about a blanket chest that I have been building for my sister-in-law for her upcoming wedding. Well I have finished it and delivered it to the happy couple on Saturday (4 months ahead of schedule). The chest is made from tiger maple and finished with Dye, Tung oil, Shellac and wax. Took a while to complete the finish, but I think it was worth it. I am including some pictures of the progress from my last posting and the completed chest. The pictures include an action dovetailing shot, one with out the finish or moulding on the top, complete with dye, the with 1st coat of shellac, completed, then delivered

Thanks for looking.

Mike

Mike K
10-22-2006, 9:08 PM
As the title says. Last picture with the happy couple, Me on left.

Mike

Hans Braul
10-23-2006, 7:09 AM
Nice job, Mike.

I've been thinking a blanket box might be something I'd like to build, but we've already got one, so I need an excuse like one of my kids getting married :eek: !! Heaven forbid.

Hans

Ken Salisbury
10-23-2006, 8:48 AM
Very nice work Mike ! ! !

In order to be a bona fide member of SMC you are required by the Terms of Service (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/terms.php)to use a real first and last name. Please PM Jackie Outten (http://sawmillcreek.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=6)with that information and she will update your registration.

Thanks in advance.

"Your Friendly Moderator"

Dave Anderson NH
10-23-2006, 8:58 AM
Really nice job Mike. The workmanship and the finish are great.

I will issue you a warning however that real woodworkers never finish projects on time. Four months early? Harrumph!! If you persist in this behavior we are going to have to send some folks out to"reason" with you.:D :rolleyes:

David Marcus Brown
10-23-2006, 9:21 AM
Nice wedding gift! I'm with Dave Anderson on that delivery time thing. ;)

I'm about six months behind on delivering a wedding gift to a friend of mine. They were married in June -- year before last. You typically have one year to deliver a gift so by the time I get the blanket chest finished, I'll probably be one year tardy. :o Too many projects . . . too little time . . . not enough hands . . .

regards,
Dave

James Mittlefehldt
10-23-2006, 11:47 AM
Really nice job Mike. The workmanship and the finish are great.

I will issue you a warning however that real woodworkers never finish projects on time. Four months early? Harrumph!! If you persist in this behavior we are going to have to send some folks out to"reason" with you.:D :rolleyes:

Phew I thought it was just me.

Nice chest Mike I am sure that being custom made the happy couple will really appreciate it that much more. Is it me or is the dovetail pattern a bit irregular,no criticism just curious.

Michael Keating
10-23-2006, 2:10 PM
Hi Ken,

Sorry posted under my old profile, I now have the real one up and going.

James,
Yes the dovetail pattern is very irregular, it is the same on bothe sides, but I like varying sized dovetails. Handcut dovetails that are the same size and space bore me and they look no different than the machine cut ones. With this pattern people know they are handcut.

Mike

Joe Unni
10-23-2006, 5:24 PM
Very nice work.

Er, umm, ah - delivery?

I still owe my wife a hope chest...we've been married for 12 years.

-joe

Alan Turner
10-23-2006, 6:20 PM
Nice work, Mike. Always a pleasure to see a former student having great success!

Von Bickley
10-23-2006, 8:08 PM
Great work Mike...:)