PDA

View Full Version : Anybody see some wands...

Jonathon Spafford
10-22-2006, 7:38 PM
Ok here is my whole collection... so far :D I have 44 of them. I have been turning these since earlier this year. Altogether I have turned over 50 or so. I am a slow turner so that is why it has taken so long, but they are fun to turn. Ok, there are also three in there that are carved from tree branches for the tree fairies and wizards. Any comments and criticisms welcomed (I got thick skin)!

Terry Quiram
10-22-2006, 7:51 PM
Jonathon

What a great assortment of wands. Wonderful handle designs, very imaginative. Love the Curly Maple.

Terry

Corey Hallagan
10-22-2006, 8:20 PM
Pretty cool! I think these would be great spindle turning practice. Nice job!

Corey

Jim Young
10-22-2006, 8:28 PM
Very interesting. Do these sell well? If so what do these kind of things go for? Or are you giving out wands to everyone for Christmass this year?

Pete Jordan
10-22-2006, 9:18 PM
Jonathan,

You have done a great job. I spent this summer making wands for my sons and their friends. I still have about 15 around the house but they get plenty of use. You have given me some good ideas!

Thanx

Ted Calver
10-22-2006, 10:02 PM
You are the Wizzard of Wands!!

Bernie Weishapl
10-22-2006, 11:32 PM
Great job Jonathon. That is a bunch of wands. Is everyone getting a wand for Xmas???

Jonathon Spafford
10-23-2006, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the comments on my wands... I am having fun doing them and I have found that my tool technique is sooooo much better than when I first started. They are really good practice. I have been building up a little inventory hoping to sell them sometime. The other fantasy wands that I have seen at whirlwood.com (http://www.whirlwood.com/) and alivans.com (http://alivans.com) probably average $50-$60 a wand. Alivans has a line of wands that are mass produced and those are between $20-$35 mostly. Their one-of-a-kind line are more in the $50-$70 range. Whirlwood has some nice ones... some of them are kinda goofy, though. They range between $60-$80. One thing I don't like about whirlwood is that he only uses maple and he dyes 'em all. (The other thing I don't like is he takes his wands too seriously :D). I do a little dyeing too, sometimes, but I like to have variety of woods or it feels like cheating, if ya know what I mean :D One question I have is most wand sellers sell theirs in a nice collectors box. Does anyone have any idea where to get boxes that are 2" by 12-18". Most of my wands are at the 14" length, but a couple are 15" and 16". Where would you get boxes for 'em all? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Frank Fusco
10-23-2006, 10:35 AM
Very nice wands. I have made several. Gave some to the grandchildren and have tried to sell others. No luck selling at $20.00 each. Mine are of maple with various wood handles. Of course, until the latest movie, they were supposed to be made of holly with some hair of the unicorn or feather of the phoenix bird in the handle. Of course, mine do as I am sure yours are also. ;)