PDA

View Full Version : Jointer plane worth?

Tom Pritchard
10-22-2003, 10:56 AM
I purchased an old jointer plane from a vendor at a show recently, and I was wondering if I paid a good price for it. It's a Bailey No. 7 jointer plane, and is in excellent shape. The vendor told me that he thought it was made by Stanley, and most of the parts in the plane have the Stanley name on them. I paid $40.00 for it, and I know that I can't purchase a new jointer plane for anywhere near that amount. If the plane is worth more than $40.00, I will keep it as a collector's item. If it is worth less than $40.00, I will put it to work! Thanks for any help you can offer.

Ed Falis
10-22-2003, 11:09 AM
Tom,

I don't know much about the value, but I'd put it to work regardless.

- Ed

Jeff Bishop
10-22-2003, 11:29 AM
Tom,
That plane was made to be used, so use it. Unless it were a very rare plane (which I seriously doubt) and the vendor was an idiot not to know this you ,more than likely, paid a fair price for it depending on it's condition. Sharpen and tune it up, then enjoy using it.

Alan Turner
10-22-2003, 12:18 PM
I purchased an old jointer plane from a vendor at a show recently, and I was wondering if I paid a good price for it. It's a Bailey No. 7 jointer plane, and is in excellent shape. The vendor told me that he thought it was made by Stanley, and most of the parts in the plane have the Stanley name on them. I paid $40.00 for it, and I know that I can't purchase a new jointer plane for anywhere near that amount. If the plane is worth more than $40.00, I will keep it as a collector's item. If it is worth less than $40.00, I will put it to work! Thanks for any help you can offer.
I'm no pro on valuations, but this seems a fair price from what I have seen at tool sales of late. Fettle it, sharpen it, and put it to work.

Jim Stastny
10-22-2003, 12:36 PM
You paid a VERY fair price for a working plane. Go to E-Bay and you'll find that most #7 working planes go from around $40 to $70. Enjoy your plane, and put it to good use.

Tom Pritchard
10-22-2003, 2:14 PM
My thanks to all who have replied so far! I think your advice to use the plane is wise. My wife stated "Go ahead and use it, you know that you will never consider selling it."! I hate parting with tools, so I guess I will follow everyone's advice and use it. Here's a picture of it, which I should have included the first time. Any other comments would be appreciated!

Steven Wilson
10-22-2003, 3:00 PM
That's a user plane, tweak it up and enjoy using it.

Dave Anderson NH
10-22-2003, 4:35 PM
$40 is a decent price for a #7 Bailey. This is a Stanley and was designed by Leonard Bailey who is honored by the name on the toe of the plane. It's quite common and I'd guess that over the 100+ years of manufacture Staney produced between 500,000 and a million. From the photo it appears to be somewhere from a type 9 to a type 13 because of the low front knob and the lack of a kidney shape on the lever cap. It will make a fine user with a bit of tuning.

scott pollack
10-22-2003, 7:19 PM
it seems like a great price to me. last week i bought a record #7 jointer off of ebay for $60.01. it was almost brand new. the guy bought planer and jointer machines and had no use for it. and i thought i got a steal. use it man! enjoy and share some pics.

scotty

aurelio alarcon
10-22-2003, 11:36 PM
I found an old plane at my grandfather's house while cleaning up. I have attatched a picture of one similar to it here. I hope the picture shows up. Mine is not complete (it is missing some of the blades).

scott spencer
10-23-2003, 5:24 PM
That's a beauty Tom. Give it the "once over" and put it to work. You're right....you can't touch a new one for anywhere near that price.