PDA

View Full Version : First Pens

Lou Ferrarini
10-22-2006, 7:35 PM
OK, Be kind. Got the new Rikon up and running today and tried my hand at making a few pens.

One is from a yellow heart blank and I don't know what the other wood is. Kits are from WC. Made a few mistakes but I think I am getting the hang of it.

Need to figure out the best way to photograph something so close. So whaddya think?

Brett Baldwin
10-22-2006, 7:40 PM
Those little things are insane addictive. You are going to be checking every piece of wood you find to see if they are big enough to get a pen tube in. Looks like your friends and family will have many nice custom writing instruments in their near future.

Jonathon Spafford
10-22-2006, 7:41 PM
Woah... I like them... alot better than my first attempts at pens. Really like the shape of the second one. Your pictures are fine... if you are using a digital camera there is usually a setting for '24" or closer' used for taking close-ups. Very nice work!!

Christopher K. Hartley
10-22-2006, 7:46 PM
Lou, I haven't as yet don any myself but my daughter is forcing me into it. These look great to me. Keep em coming.:)

Corey Hallagan
10-22-2006, 7:56 PM
Looking good on the pens! Nice job. As far as photos if you want to get nice close ups, use a digital with a macro mode. You will need to play around with lighting and figure out how far away works best to get them the way you want. Some photo software is handy as well. Keep'em coming, you're doing great!

Corey

Lou Ferrarini
10-22-2006, 7:57 PM
Thanks for the kind words. This was my first attempt at turning. Got a video on turning pens from arizona silhouette.

Think I know what I will be giving for Christmas this year.:rolleyes:

Corey Hallagan
10-22-2006, 7:58 PM
They are great for gifts Lou and lots of fun to boot!

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
10-22-2006, 11:35 PM
Hey Lou those are some great looking pens. How do you like the Rikon so far? I just got one and love it. Keep'em coming.

Bill Boehme
10-23-2006, 1:15 AM
The Latin name of the wood that you don't know is called foundus ongroundus. It is very common and can be found on the ground almost anywhere in the world. It goes by a large number of local names. Here in Texas, the most common local names are Dunno wood and Fog* wood.

Bill

* FOG = Found On Ground

Keith Burns
10-23-2006, 9:55 AM
You're off to a great start Lou, nice pens !!! Keep it up:) :)