PDA

View Full Version : First Post, question about Pentz DC

Jameel Abraham
10-22-2006, 6:46 PM
I was told about this forum from a friend with a Clear-Vue cyclone.

Glad to join. I've been working wood since high school, doing everything from kitchen cabinets to Byzantine wood carving and arabic lutes. I'm looking forward to participating here.

I'm completely re-doing my dust collection and have read a ton here and at Bill Pentz's site. I'm trying my best to afford this system, but I just don't have the money for it, so I'm trying to do as much myself, plus buying a few things. First thing is the motor. I'm still a little in the dark on horsepower. I have a really nice, new GE 3hp motor (bought at Grainger)that at first glance seems perfect. It was used briefly on a hammermill,(maybe 15 minutes total) so it's in perfect shape. I'm posting a pic and the specs to hopefully get someone's input on it. Ed at clearvue said it should work fine with a 14" impeller, but I thought I'd ask for some advice here as well. I value Ed's opinion of course. Just looking for some more opinions. I have relatively small shop, 25' x 15' (possibly enlarging to 25' x 25'), and the regular selection of power tools (TS, Jointer, planer etc.)

Specs:
Capacitor Start Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled Motor, HP 3, RPM 3500, Voltage 115/230 V, NEMA Frame 182T, Service Factor 1.00, Frequency 60 Hz, Mounting Rigid, Bearings Ball, Thermal Protection None, Full Load Amps 25.8/12.9

Ken Garlock
10-22-2006, 7:57 PM
Welcome to the creek, Jameel. Do stop by and wade the water frequently.:)

The motor you have is the correct motor from what you say. The only thing you need is a "C" type face frame mount for it. The C mounting frame allows the motor to be mounted with the shaft vertical and pointing down. I would guess that any motor repair, or sales, could fit you with the correct size mount.

Jameel Abraham
10-24-2006, 1:00 PM
Thanks, Ken. I'll keep that in mind. Any opinions on the horsepower issue though? Anyone here done a Pentz cyclone with a 3hp motor? Results?

Mike Weaver
10-24-2006, 1:09 PM
It'll work fine.

Mine is actually powered by a nice Delta 2HP....:eek:

I suggest a large chunk of angle iron, to which you can mount the motor if you can't fine the correct mount.

Hope that helps,
-Mike
PS I should add I'm a hobbyist and have run mine for ~30-45 min at a time and am VERY careful to not flip it on/off frequently.

Ken Garlock
10-24-2006, 9:12 PM
Thanks, Ken. I'll keep that in mind. Any opinions on the horsepower issue though? Anyone here done a Pentz cyclone with a 3hp motor? Results?

The 3 hp might be a little small. This motor at Electric Motor Warehouse (http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/120554.htm)was recommended by Bill Pentz as being the correct size.