PDA

View Full Version : Please help me with two Biese fence/rail installation questions......

Mark Rios
10-22-2006, 3:28 PM
I've got the Uni in my trailer and I'm setting it up. It originally had the 50" fence/rail kit on it but this was too big/long for me so I got a shorter set. I'm putting the fence on now but I ran into a couple of issues that I could really use some advice on before I can continue.........

First, can anyone give me the dimensions for the Biese table-to-fence set-up template? If you've installed a Biese fence then you know what I'm referring to. At least the height of the drop, from the table to the fence support plate. I bought a new set of short rails from Biese but I didn't get this template.

Second, I'm not sure if there are holes on the long rails that line up with the wings but the holes on the short rails don't line up. Should I drill new holes in the wings? Do the wings (or the fence rails) need this support? It kinda looks like the wings should have at least one bolt into them but I am new to this cabinet saw thing and I'm not sure. On my old contractor saw the wings bolted to the fence.

Thank you very much for your help and advice.

Matt Meiser
10-22-2006, 4:40 PM
First, can anyone give me the dimensions for the Biese table-to-fence set-up template? If you've installed a Biese fence then you know what I'm referring to. At least the height of the drop, from the table to the fence support plate. I bought a new set of short rails from Biese but I didn't get this template.

The template is set up for a 2-27/32 drop from the table to the top of the web of the angle iron that sticks out. As far as I know, none of the other dimensions of the template are critical, but it is about 12" long. The clipped corner is to clear the fillet on the angle iron.

Second, I'm not sure if there are holes on the long rails that line up with the wings but the holes on the short rails don't line up. Should I drill new holes in the wings? Do the wings (or the fence rails) need this support? It kinda looks like the wings should have at least one bolt into them but I am new to this cabinet saw thing and I'm not sure. On my old contractor saw the wings bolted to the fence.

My delta contractor saw came as a package with the Biese fence. I only have a left cast iron wing and there are no bolts from the fence into it. The front and back rails each have two bolts into the main table casting. The right side is all a Biese extension table with a few bolts in in.

Hope that helps.

Travis Porter
10-22-2006, 6:26 PM
Sorry, but I don't have the template or the measurements.

As for the holes, I would think you would want them just for the additional support. On my PM66 (came with Biesemeyer) I have bolts in the wings and personally believe it adds additional support.

Mark Rios
10-22-2006, 7:31 PM
Thanks Matt, that's what I needed. Perfect! Thanks.

Travis, I haven't been able to find any info regarding bolts into the wings but I have to agree with you about the added support. My logic may be silly or may not work too well but I figure that if my contractor saw, with cast iron wings, had a use for the support then this saw would as well.

BOY-O-MAN-O-BOY-O-MAN....This saw sure is easier to set up than my old Ridgid.

OH!!!......I'm so excited.......:D

Greg Koch
10-22-2006, 8:53 PM
I installed the 40" HS rails/tube ($45 on a sale at Amazon) on my Delta 36-680 contractor's saw. It didn't have matching holes for the rails in both the CI wings, but I plan on drilling and attachment for extra stability. Otherwise, installation and adjustment were quick and easy. Great system.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/kgregc/Woodworking/Uniguard1.png

Travis Porter
10-22-2006, 9:59 PM
Well, I just looked at my saw. It isn't a UNI, but it is a cabinet saw. The left wing has two bolts and the right has one. I did put 3 bolts in the table extension, but I have a 52 inch rip on mine.

glenn bradley
10-22-2006, 10:30 PM
My Bies matches Matt's at 2 27/32 (not doubting in any way, just seconding his measurement):) . My right ext has one bolt front and back plus the four along the table edge of course. My left ext has one in front and the four along the table edge; rear rail does not extend past the table top to the left-hand wing area. Rear rail does extend to the right wing area as mentioned above.

Mark Rios
10-22-2006, 10:40 PM
Got it everyone. Thanks VERY much for all the replies and the help. I went ahead and put a bolt on the left wing, front and back, and two on the right wing. I needed to add a 14" table extension on the right so I figured that I could use the support on the right. Of course, I also bolted my shop made extension as well.

I'm almost done.

Thanks again.