PDA

View Full Version : Mercer Knife Handles

Leigh Costello
10-22-2006, 1:12 PM
Hello everone. I am in need of some information, please. Does anyone know if polypropylene or Santoprene are harmful if lasered? Thanks in advance.

Joe Pelonio
10-22-2006, 1:56 PM
If there's doubt you should always start by asking tech support at your laser manufacturer. If they don't know, then go to the plastic manufacturer's website and look for the Material Safety Data Sheet. Look for toxic or corrosive fumes when burned, and/or any mention of chlorine or chloride as a component.

I looked them both up and it appears to me (disclaimer, my opinion only)
from the MSDS information that the polypropylene might be OK.

The Santoprene says that vapors from processing can cause Respiratory tract infection under long exposure, and that Smoke, Carbon Monoxide and Hydrocarbons are released when burned (same as most things we use).
Unfortunately many material manufacturers do not specify warning on lasering, which is not really the same as burning so it's really hard to be sure of whether a material is safe or not.

With both of these, I'd wait and contact the laser and material manufacturers to confirm that they are laserable, unless someone more chemically knowledgeable responds to your post.

Leigh Costello
10-24-2006, 12:12 AM
Well, I did a web search and all that you suggested, except call my sales rep. My husband works in a lab and he deciphered some of the jargon and we determined that if we wore a mask as well as using our venting system we would be okay. So, in conclusion, no ill effects, but I do not recommend trying this again.

The handles turned out really well, and, as usual, I sent the job out without getting a picture.

Thanks again.

Jim A. Walters
10-24-2006, 9:12 PM
Santoprene is a blend of Polyproplylene and EPDM rubber. There shouldn't be any danger to the laser from the cutting fumes.

In our injection molding business, Santoprene was our our #1 molded material to use.

I cut some flat sheet for some prototypes a few times. There was no problems, just a small buildup of water from where the laser cut the Santoprene.

I love Santoprene...smells like money :D !