PDA

View Full Version : 26% MC Black Walnut

Wade Ellisor
10-22-2006, 10:55 AM
I do a lot of lurking, not much posting. Easier to learn with your ears open. I do have a question about some Black Walnut that has been cut into firewood size blocks for two or three years. I split and rough turned some pieces yesterday. The MC of these pieces is at 26%. Ambient MC on some kiln-dried pieces stored (open shed) the same, as the blocks are 16%. I haven’t worked much Walnut but my thought is that there shouldn’t be much if any shrinkage in these pieces if I just wrap and set them in a controlled environment for a couple of months?
Thanks,
Wade

Bernie Weishapl
10-22-2006, 11:15 AM
Wade I am a new turner and no expert by any means. I did have some walnut that was 28% to 30%. I did a experiment. I soak 2 roughed bowl blanks in DNA for 48 hrs. and wrapped them in brown grocery bag. I took 2 and just wrapped them in a brown grocery bag. Neither of them cracked or warped hardly at all but did see a difference in getting down to 10% moisture. The 2 I soaked got to 10% about a month sooner. So I am thinking that the 2 I soaked actually didn't need to be but would take a little longer to dry. I am hoping the experts will chime in as I am interested also.

Reed Gray
10-22-2006, 12:59 PM
I love black walnut. One of its characteristics is that it seems to be very stable as it drys; little movement, and little cracking. I don't have a moisture meter, so don't know percentages, but just turned some that was dead standing for a year or 2, then cut down for another year or 2, then I got it. A 14 inch bowl just turned showed almost no movement, but it was a little too wet to sand right after turning.
robo hippy

Jim Becker
10-22-2006, 2:09 PM
I've often turned black walnut "wet" to completion including finishing without issues as long as the wall thickness is relatively thin and is absolutely consistent.

Mark Pruitt
10-22-2006, 3:15 PM
I love black walnut. One of its characteristics is that it seems to be very stable as it drys; little movement, and little cracking. I don't have a moisture meter, so don't know percentages, but just turned some that was dead standing for a year or 2, then cut down for another year or 2, then I got it. A 14 inch bowl just turned showed almost no movement, but it was a little too wet to sand right after turning.
robo hippy

Reed,

No pics = didn't happen! Sheesh, I thought you knew that!:p :D :p :D

:cool:

Dennis Peacock
10-22-2006, 5:25 PM
Wade,

First of all Welcome to SMC.!!!!!!

I don't have a moisture meter either, but all I do is rough turn the bowl, soak in DNA for about 24 hours, wrap, and set on a shelf upside down for about 3 to 4 weeks. I then unwrap the bowl and set on a shelf to dry more for another 2 to 3 weeks, then I mount, turn, and finish. At least this process has worked for me for quiet some time now with excellent results.