PDA

View Full Version : Saw Blades

Manny Cardoso
10-22-2006, 9:26 AM
Anyone have good ideas on how to clean saw blades, my blades don't last to long . they get a dark tarter around the teeth and don't cut anymore, please help thanks

Brian Hale
10-22-2006, 9:31 AM
I use simple green. Soak for about 5 minutes, scrub with a stiff brush and rinse well. Do Not Soak For Long Periods Of Time! SG can cause the brazing to deteriorate with long term soaking.

Brian :)

BTW, Welcome to the Creek!!

Paul Kinneberg
10-22-2006, 10:02 AM
I bought a kit from Rockler that I use.

scott spencer
10-22-2006, 11:00 AM
Lots of things work well Manny...the important thing is keeping up with it. I clean mine pretty frequently...it makes a big difference to the longevity of the edge.

I've successfully used Simple Green, Boeshield BladesnBits, 409, LA's Totally Awesome, Goo Gone, Dawn/water, WD-40, and Easy Off......skip the oven cleaner....it's harsh, messier than the others, and works no more effectively. I really like the 409 and Totally Awesome. Spray and hit them quickly with a toothbrush or brass bristle.

Phil Thien
10-22-2006, 11:09 AM
And make sure your table saw is properly aligned. A saw blade that isn't parallel to the miter slot and/or fence will cause more pitch on the blade.

Russ Massery
10-22-2006, 11:18 AM
I use the kit from Rockler. I nice they give a pan for soaking, a small container for routerbits, And a small brass brush. Does a great job.

Charlie Plesums
10-22-2006, 12:31 PM
The folks from Forrest sent me some Peels Plus Citrus cleaner with the strong suggestion that I use it on their blades (guess the one I sent in for sharpening must have been dirty).

As Brian mentioned, soaking in Simple Green for a long time will degrade the brazing on the carbide. It reportedly cannot be used on airplanes, either, since it degrades the aluminum if it soaks into the joints. So Simple Green came out with a milder (?) cleaner called Simple Green Extreme Clean that doesn't harm metal. After looking for it for a year, I just found some and haven't had a chance to try it yet.

glenn bradley
10-22-2006, 12:40 PM
I have Rockler's stuff. Works well. Ran out, got Simple Green. Works just as well. If I let things get built up on the blade (shame, shame) I use a little 409 and a brass bristle brush.

P.s. Don't soak 'em.

Gary Herrmann
10-22-2006, 8:05 PM
I've got a bottle of CMT 2050. Spray it on, let it sit for awhile (5 or 10 minutes - I don't remember). Wipe it off. Non toxic fumes, non flammable. Picked it up at WC. Made a 3 year old blade that had never been cleaned look new.

jonathan snyder
10-23-2006, 2:10 AM
I use the CMT citrus cleaner also. It works in seconds, spray it on and wipe it off. I was suprised!

Jonathan

Alan Turner
10-23-2006, 5:16 AM
I use Oxy-Solv, from Woodworker's Supply. Water based, quick, pretty inexpensive. $28/gallon, wich lasts forever. Just use a windex spray bottle.

DONALD MORRIS
10-23-2006, 11:08 AM
I use the CMT citrus cleaner and it does the job in seconds........just spray on and use a tooth brush to remove the gunk. I clean my blades, router bits and Forstner bits with the same cleaner. I clean everything often before the residue gets baked on..........makes it very easy. Simple Green removed the writing on my uncoated Freud blade and the brush turns slightly red when I used it once on my coated blades. No fumes and easy on the hands.

Manny Cardoso
10-23-2006, 5:38 PM
Thanks alot , you people are great. I just found this site and i love it lots of great people with alot of knowledge.

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-24-2006, 8:26 AM
my blades don't last to long . they get a dark tarter around the teeth and don't cut anymore

What are you cutting?? ?? ??????

I'd use any of the following:
Mineral spirits. laquer thinner, MEK, acetone, WD40