PDA

View Full Version : Possible to extend capacity of smaller dovetail jig?

Jerry Olexa
10-21-2006, 11:46 AM
One of the WWing projects I'm considering is a blanket chest which would require through dovetails but on panels that would be between 18" -24" wide. My current jig handles only up to 12" and I don't wish to purchase the larger Leigh at this time. Is it possible to adapt a jig to do half the DT's and then extend or flip to do the remainder?? I still may have to get a new (bigger) jig or a different template. What are my options?? Thanks..

Scott Donley
10-21-2006, 12:01 PM
Hi Jerry, Don't know what jig you have but you can extend the PC 4212. You can watch the vidio or download the advanced manual HERE (http://www.porter-cable.com/jigs/) It might give you some ideas. Good luck

Tyler Howell
10-21-2006, 12:02 PM
No experience with that Jig but I would think you could make a place holder the size of a pin or 3. Move the board to the next series and maintain a constant spacing.

Jim Becker
10-21-2006, 12:36 PM
Consider picking up the Keller for this particular task as a suppliment to your existing half-blind jig.

Joe Unni
10-21-2006, 5:02 PM
Get the Stot's template and make your own - ANY size!

Good luck,
-joe

Jerry Olexa
10-21-2006, 8:01 PM
Hi Jerry, Don't know what jig you have but you can extend the PC 4212. You can watch the vidio or download the advanced manual HERE (http://www.porter-cable.com/jigs/) It might give you some ideas. Good luck

Good tip Scott!! The PC 4212 was a jig I was considering to be able to do through DT's. My current is a half blind only so an upgrade or a template is in order. Do you like your 4212? Thanks Scott

Jerry Olexa
10-21-2006, 8:03 PM
Get the Stot's template and make your own - ANY size!

Good luck,
-joe

Joe, I'm not familiar with the Stot's template. Can you tell me a little more or source? Thanks

Jerry Olexa
10-21-2006, 8:07 PM
Consider picking up the Keller for this particular task as a suppliment to your existing half-blind jig.

Yes Jim they are high on my list for the through DT upgrade.(altho I don't think they can handle variable spacing) Seems like best option w/o jumping up to the +$400 Leighs, etc. I also like the PC 4212 for slightly less.

Scott Donley
10-21-2006, 8:15 PM
Good tip Scott!! The PC 4212 was a jig I was considering to be able to do through DT's. My current is a half blind only so an upgrade or a template is in order. Do you like your 4212? Thanks ScottYes I do, a very small learning curve (I need that) and really is very versatile as you can see if you watched the vidio's. I did see it was on sale at Amazon today, don't know the price, one of those put it in your cart to see the price things. I think I paid around 120-40, don't really remember but have been very happy with it.

Jim Becker
10-21-2006, 8:21 PM
Jerry...Fine Woodworking December 2006 (Issue 187 - page 56) has a very nice overview of a whole bunch of dovetail jigs...including many that do both TD and HBD.

Dave Richards
10-21-2006, 9:37 PM
Can't help it. Maybe now is the time to step up to a WoodRat. You can do dovetails with it on boards more than 24" wide. ;)

Joe Unni
10-21-2006, 9:41 PM
Joe, I'm not familiar with the Stot's template. Can you tell me a little more or source? Thanks

Stot is a guy (with a website of the same) that makes, among other things a template that is used to make your own dovetail jigs. With the recommended bits and bearings it'll only set you back about $60. But then or course you'll need to spend the time to make the jigs. I found the instructions to be very good and was up and running in just a couple of hours - start to finish. By the way, once the jig is created - you never have to adjust the fit. Though I've only used the system a few times and have not made any other jigs (other than the standard jig), my guess is that creating the larger jigs would be just as easy.

Good luck Jerry,
-joe

Jerry Olexa
10-22-2006, 6:09 PM
Stot is a guy (with a website of the same) that makes, among other things a template that is used to make your own dovetail jigs. With the recommended bits and bearings it'll only set you back about $60. But then or course you'll need to spend the time to make the jigs. I found the instructions to be very good and was up and running in just a couple of hours - start to finish. By the way, once the jig is created - you never have to adjust the fit. Though I've only used the system a few times and have not made any other jigs (other than the standard jig), my guess is that creating the larger jigs would be just as easy.

Good luck Jerry,
-joe

Thanks Joe...I found him

John Kain
10-22-2006, 8:49 PM
Good tip Scott!! The PC 4212 was a jig I was considering to be able to do through DT's. My current is a half blind only so an upgrade or a template is in order. Do you like your 4212? Thanks Scott

Jerry, I have the 4212 as well and have ran dovetails over 24" using the tips shown on the PC website. Easy to do.

Al Navas
10-22-2006, 8:52 PM
Jerry,

Just a thought, to truly muddy the waters a little bit :D .

Is it possible that by the time you are done you may have invested more than if you had bought the Leigh initially?

I agonized over this decision quite a while ago. I never even looked back after I got it and realized what a terrific value the Leigh jig truly is. And the beauty of the Leigh is that you can extend its utility using templates for some uniques types of joints beyond dovetails - all at certain cost, of course :eek: .

For myself, I am now considering whether to get the box joint template, and LOML now realizes how beautiful the Isoloc joints are, too.

As I said, just a thought... or thoughts?

Al