PDA

View Full Version : Got new Jet VSmini

Ben Rafael
10-21-2006, 10:56 AM
After I returned my Rikon to woodcraft because of it's problems I went to Rockler and ordered the Jet with the free chuck.
I got it yesterday set it up and turned. It is quiet, unlike the Rikon, and runs far smoother. The vs is definitely a nice feature to have, I cannot see ever having a lathe without it. The belt is far easier to move/change on the Rikon, but I dont see a need to move the belt much, the lower range is about 500-1700, which will suit me fine.
Anybody who has been debating which mini to get should not hesitate and spend a little more and go for the Jet, it is certainly worth a few extra dollars.
I'll post some pics of some turnings once I get my backlog of work done and can complete something. Work has certainly been interfering with my life lately.:)

Tyler Howell
10-21-2006, 11:00 AM
I don't see a mini!! Do you see a mini??
Must be mistaken:confused:

Dario Octaviano
10-21-2006, 11:13 AM
CONGRATS!!! Very good choice.

No experience with Rikon so cannot comment on that but I own a Jet mini VS and can't be happier (especially if you get it on sale ;) ). I too endorse Jet mini VS without hesitation.

Ben Rafael
10-21-2006, 11:32 AM
Getting it on sale was the clincher.
I know that many rocklers will not order it. The one where I went orders sale items that are out of stock. I had to wait 3 weeks, but it was worth it. AFAIK it is on sale til the end of the month for $299 with a free chuck.

Corey Hallagan
10-21-2006, 11:42 AM
Congrats Ben and that chuck is a nice chuck. I use it on my PSI. Enjoy the new lathe.

Corey

Keith Burns
10-21-2006, 12:15 PM
Congrats Ben. Now, forget the backlog of work and start spinning !:D :)

Pete Jordan
10-21-2006, 12:24 PM
Congrats Ben!

I believe you have a lathe though pictures would be nice.

Ben Rafael
10-22-2006, 4:03 PM
Pete,
Why in the world would I lie about a $299 purchase?
If I was gonna lie, I'd lie big!:)

Corey Hallagan
10-22-2006, 7:01 PM
Ben, no one is accusing you of telling a lie. It's a tradition here to post pics with a tool gloat is all :) The official photo cop here is Tyler Howell and he got to your first. That is his job here..:) The saying is...No Photo...It Didn't Happen. All in good fun Ben! Enjoy the lathe.

corey

Ben Rafael
10-22-2006, 7:40 PM
I know no one is accusing me of lying, I'm just funnin'.
Besides, I'm really not gloating over a $299 purchase, just sharing my experience with the lathe hoping it might help others decide on what they want to do.
Posting pics is a bit of a pain in the rear for me, so I just thought I'd post pics of the first couple of projects when they're done.

Brett Baldwin
10-22-2006, 7:49 PM
I went for the same deal and I'm really happy with it so far. I've mostly done pens but have played with some small bowls also. I've got a citrus tree that will be donating some bowl blanks in the near future.

Corey Hallagan
10-22-2006, 7:52 PM
It's worth a gloat Ben... that's a nice lathe :)

Corey

Dale Gregory
10-22-2006, 8:19 PM
I tried to buy one last week at our local Rockler dealer (Cincinnati). They said they tried to order more but they said Jet said they were out of this sale combo. Looks like you got one of the last ones:) :mad: Great buy, I would gloat as well if I were you!

Dale

Ben Rafael
10-22-2006, 8:25 PM
See if you can get it without the chuck for $299, it's a nice running lathe.

Travis Stinson
10-23-2006, 12:32 AM
Nice gloat Ben. That is one sweet little lathe!:)