PDA

View Full Version : db of air cleaners?

Jon Eckels
10-20-2006, 11:59 PM
Just wondering how loud the Air Filter Boxes are? Like the Jet AFS-1000B for instance. I dont see any sort of decibel ratings on them, so does that mean that the sound they make is negligible?

Furthermore, I'd like to build one of these boxes myself, as it seems to be a pretty simple construct. Does anyone know where I can locate a fan for one of them?

and to tie both questions together, would a factory made box be quieter than a homemade one? i'd like to save myself some money but the silence is trump.

Howard Levine
10-21-2006, 12:18 AM
The October Wood rates air cleaners but does not include sound levels. The JDS 750-ER was top tool, top value was a box fan with furnace filter.

I have plans for a shop air filter in "The Complete Small Shop." Do an internet search for "squirrel cage blower," and you will find sources for blowers.

Paul Kinneberg
10-21-2006, 8:49 AM
I have two JDS's and not sure what the DB level is but I can tell you this I usaully run them as I'm leaving the shop so I don't have to listen to them.

Andy Haney
10-21-2006, 9:02 AM
I just found a squirrel cage fan at an estate auction a couple of weeks ago. No one else wanted it, and I got it for $1.

Jim Becker
10-21-2006, 9:35 AM
I only run my JDS when I'm spraying water borne to help clear the air. At low speed it's not too intrusive noise wise, but on high it does disturb normal listening to the shop tunes...

Jon Eckels
10-21-2006, 9:51 AM
well my shop is a garage below some bedrooms, and i'm more concerned with disturbing the people in the bedrooms, not the music in the shop. I usually wear hearing protection whenever i run a machine anyway. I just dont want it to be an issue with the neighbors.

Jim Becker
10-21-2006, 10:34 AM
Jon, just avoid "noise transference" by mounting the filtration in such a way that you deal with that. The unit, itself, will not generate more noise than a furnace running in the same space.

Dennis Peacock
10-21-2006, 11:30 AM
Don't mount it to the ceiling unless you use some rubber isolation mounts. It's not how loud the air cleaner is....it's what vibrations would you be transferring to the upstairs from the air cleaner. DAMHIKT!!! :rolleyes:

Jon Eckels
10-21-2006, 12:31 PM
i was actually thinking about mounting it to a wall - a cement wall, probably with 1x4 sleepers.