PDA

View Full Version : Turning Snare Drum Rims

Chuck Saunders
10-20-2006, 7:53 PM
Hi Guys,
I am thinking about trying to make wooden drum rims (hoops). These are around 16" OD, 14" Id and maybe 1"- 1-1/4" high. The rims will be made from hard maple. The cross section has a rabbit on the ID and a rabbit on the diagonal OD. The "top" of the rim is a bead from ID to the Rabit of OD. The ones that I have seen are fingerjointed. I am assuming the best way is to mount to a ~16" faceplate. Does anybody have any suggestions to increase my chance of success? Is this something better suited to </blasphemy on> a router </blasphemy off> ?
Thanks
Chuck

Jim Becker
10-20-2006, 10:37 PM
Chuck, I think you'd have to turn this very similar to how you would work a round picture frame on the lathe with the material mounted to a backer using a secure, but removable adhesive. Finger joints would be a good plan in my book due to the larger glue area. Turn slow and easy...too fast would be dangerous as well as more likely to have issues with keeping the thing mounted. This is, at least, what I'm seeing in my mind!

Chuck Saunders
10-20-2006, 10:45 PM
Thanks Jim,
When you said picture frame, I thought Yes, that would have been the perfect analogy to describe this project. I think for its' diameter it will seem to be flying at any speed.
Chuck