PDA

View Full Version : Thinning Stain

Scott Thornton
10-20-2006, 7:45 PM
If I have an oil based stain, can I thin it? If so, what can I use? alcohol? paint thinner/mineral spirits? lacquer thinner?

Thanks.

Jim DeLaney
10-20-2006, 7:47 PM
I thin mine with naphtha, but mineral spirits (paint thinner) works well, too. Naphtha will evaporate quicker.

Scott Thornton
10-20-2006, 8:32 PM
Thanks Jim.

Will thinning stain lighten the stain as well?

Jim DeLaney
10-21-2006, 8:40 AM
Yes, because you're putting a lower concentration of solids onto the wood. Additional coats of stain will each darken the wood a bit, though.

Jude Tuliszewski
10-21-2006, 9:48 PM
Using ether one with oil(or solvent) base stain will lighten the shade of the stain. With naphtha you will want to work a little faster if doing something big as the naphtha will cause the stain to set faster and limit any time to blend(wipe in) the stain. Mineral spirits will have the opposite effect. Thinning solvent based polyurethane with mineral spirits will also slow down drying, this is useful if applying by hand(brush/foam brush) as it will give more time for the bubbles to work themselves out, but on the bad side will also give particles more chance to stick. Using naphtha will speed up drying which is useful for spraying to help avoid runs or sags. Thinning polyurethane should only be done to about 20%, any more than that and it will start to effect the finish DAMHIKT.:o Hope this helps.