PDA

View Full Version : Miter Saw Stand

Chris Jenkins
10-20-2006, 5:13 PM
Well I tried a few searches and I didn't get too many posts, so I guess I'll start a new thread.

As some of you may already know I'm getting ready to move in to a new house and I'm doing some of the planning. Right now I am trying to locate my miter saw.

At this time I really want to make a storage stand right under my lumber rack (which is prolly where I will use the miterbox the most).

Currently I have a Bosch 4410L which has the sliding rails that hang way back behind the machine. I don't know any other good way to place this cabinet and saw combo other than use casters on the bottom. This way I can swing the miter saw angle to 90 degrees without the rails hitting the back wall.

I'm sure a bunch of the SCMS owners have hit this wall. Any ideas?

Below is the original idea I was thinking till I modeled up a crude miter saw and realized that this idea won't work. For those of you who are wondering, what did I do before? I had it on the floor, which was a real pain, but shop space was limited...

Derek Tuchscherer
10-20-2006, 5:21 PM
What about putting the mitre saw on a kind of shelf with drawer slides, therefore when you are ready to do some cutting, you slide it out? Think keyboard tray on a computer desk. You would have to put your fence further from the wall, but I doubt that would pose a problem.

Travis Porter
10-20-2006, 5:35 PM
I put mine on a cabinet with wheels and pull it out when I need it.

Jim Becker
10-20-2006, 5:45 PM
I chose to do a cantilevered miter station with wood storage above and below...a la Chris Gotchenour who writes for Fine Woodworking. There are construction pictures on my site if you're interested in seeing how I worked with his idea.

Very old picture, but...

http://sawsndust.com/images/miter/miter-final.jpg